Dome thickness question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dome thickness question.

I've read that the dome thickness is best between 3" and 4.5" so my question is why haven't I been able to find someone that cuts their bricks into thirds? For a domestic oven would there be much of a differance going this route compared to the half brick? I see the differance in the thermal mass, more curious as to the reasons people don't seem to do this. It would be lighter and extra insulation could be added to the dome without making it look larger than the standard Pompeii design. Any thoughts on this topic are appreciated.

Rob

Re: Dome thickness question.

I think it is a good compromise between too little mass and too much. If you want to bake, it will retain the heat longer. If all you are doing is pizza, it probably wouldn't matter. Structurally, I don't see it being an issue to use thirds.

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks Les.

I don't think that it would save much money going with thirds instead, I just want to have the best oven for what I want it to do. A few pizza's and then a couple loaves of bread, maybe a roast after the bread is done. That would be about the most I would cook at once. If I wanted to do more pizza's for a party, I'd just keep the fire going. If the 3" will be more effective for what I want, that's the way I will go.

Comment

I cut my brick in half - 4.5 inches. I'm very happy with the results. I am able to slow cook on the third day after the fire.

Les...
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

A few things:

Cutting the bricks in half leaves you the factory edge, which is somewhat harder than a cut face, facing the fire.

A half brick thickness dome is stronger because it is thick enough to encompass the catenary, the strongest form of the arch. Arch details here:

Finally, I made a really thin dome, 2 1/2 inches, and I don't think my dome heats up any faster than the four inch numbers.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks Dmun,

I was going to ask you more about this in your thread, but didn't want to hijack it So the factory edge would be the best reason for cutting it in half instead of thirds. Just doing my research. I really appreciate this great forum. It really helps having the support of others who have a passion for the WFO.

Comment

Working...
            X