FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven

Thanks a Mil, that sounds good, actually better than 6 consecutive days.

Will keep you updated.
    Regards
    OM

Comment

Hi David

I'm in need of some advice for the Vent.
      I just couldn't do justice in explaining where i am at the moment with the Vent so i attached a picture to help me better explain what i plan on doing going further.I have explained some obvious notes on the picture just for clarity in case anything looks a miss.I have also attached a second picture which has a more full overview of the oven.

The picture before you is of the vent already attached to the oven taken from the left view. The right view is exactly the same so whatever i do, i will just mirror is on the other side.

Right now, the vent was casted directly on the oven and has no "Butt Legs" holding it up, it's holding itself up against the refractory of the dome.
      Just to backtrack, the dome is now covered in Ceramic Fibre and Vermiculite but the vent is not yet covered with anything. I'm skeptical about the vent holding itself up, so i plan on attaching Butt Legs to support it. Now comes my Dilemma.

My ideal solution would be to attach a 1" thick layer of Refractory Cement to the left side of the vent and it would run down to the floor of the oven and attach to the dome as well. The problem is attaching it to the dome of the oven would result in the Vermiculite coming loose since its very weak and crumbly. If i didnt cover the dome yet with Vermiculite, it would have been easy to just attach it directly to the dome being the refractory cement.

The following picture is what I am trying to achieve. My Vent will now be tunneled by the butt legs attached to it.I won't get exactly the same result as this picture but it's the best similarity i could find.
      PhotoPlog - Vent and Chimney
      PhotoPlog - Vent and Chimney

What would you suggest I do to successfully attach the butt legs without compromising the strength of the Dome/Vermiculite and Vent?

Thanks
      Regards
      OM

Comment

If it were mine I would fill the space under the vent with damp sand like a sand castle, then scrape off the vermicrete where the sides of the vent will join the dome. Then place the castable against the sand form. When it is dry you can remove the sand.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I thought so as well.
          I was hoping to get away with removing the obstructing Vermicrete and Ceramic Blanket to attach the Butt Legs to the dome but I guess not.

What's the implications of attaching it to the vermicrete hoping that the side attaching to the vent and the floor of the oven will bare most of the strength?

I'm just trying avoid scraping of the vermicrete, just worried it's so crumbly that it must not fall away elswhere on the oven and also the wastage of good Vermiculite. Any chance I can reuse the scraped off vermicrete, somewhere like the top section of the vent as its less likely for it to fall off and it will then be covered in Stucco which will permanently hold it in place.

Thanks
          Regards
          OM

Comment

Yes, you can save all the crumbled bits, remix with water and cement and reapply it. It will make it stronger if you can attach it to the outside of the dome.

Comment

Hi David

I guess I have to bite the bullet and remove some vermicrete to accommodate the butt legs. At least I can reuse the verm.

I have 1 bag refractory cement but I suspect I may be a tad bit short to complete the butt legs. I have a almost full bag of mortar and would like to mix some of it in the refractory so I get more volume. I also have steel fibers. What mix ratio do you suggest I follow to mix with mortar and steel nails and still maintain strength?

Thanks
              OM

Comment

What kind of mortar is it?
                If it is a calcium aluminate mortar then you could probably use it, but if it is Portland cement (calcium silicate) then it is not suitable to mix with the castable you have left over, unless you want cracks through it.

Comment

When I bought it, I was told it's High Heat Mortar so I assume that it's calcium aluminate.
                  What mix ratio do you suggest if it is calcium aluminate?

Comment

Originally posted by Oven_Man View Post
                    When I bought it, I was told it's High Heat Mortar so I assume that it's calcium aluminate.
                    What mix ratio do you suggest if it is calcium aluminate?
                    Your guess is as good as mine. Try 70% castable 30% mortar, you should have enough to do the job.

Comment

Perfect. And I'll add about 3% steel fibres to improve strength further.

With regards to the butt legs, I was just picturing how it would look on the oven and the thought occured to me whether it would restrict easy access to load and unload pies. Each leg will be attached just left and right of the oven opening and protrude outward about 5 or so inches. Getting to the back and the corners at the back shouldn't be too much trouble but getting to sides and closer to front right and left side would seem difficult to me.

Does my theory explanation make any sense and stand any ground?

Thanks
                      Regards
                      OM

Comment

Perfect. And I'll add about 3% steel fibres to improve strength further.

With regards to the butt legs, I was just picturing how it would look on the oven and the thought occured to me whether it would restrict easy access to load and unload pies. Each leg will be attached just left and right of the oven opening and protrude outward about 5 or so inches. Getting to the back and the corners at the back shouldn't be too much trouble but getting to sides and closer to front right and left side would seem difficult to me.

Does my theory explanation make any sense and stand any ground?

Thanks
                        Regards
                        OM

Comment

Some people flare the opening out to improve access. Depending how you join it to the vent you may be able to do this too.

Comment

Thanks.
                            I'm trying to find some pics of the vents flared out, if you know any, please let me know.

Comment

Hi Guys

I just found this picture and this is exactly how i picture my Vent and Vent Landing
                              PhotoPlog - Finished Ovens

As you can see, both the landing and the vent itself protrudes outward quite far along from where the actual oven opening starts.

I wonder if there were accessibility problems with this oven in Particular?

Comment

You've kept your vent fairly shallow. Don't bring the legs of the vent out any further than you need. It only makes the oven harder to operate.

Comment

Working...
                                X