FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven

Just keep firing, cooking and eating and you'll get the hang of it. Try using a wood peel to place the pizza and sprinkle a little semolina on the peel first, to prevent sticking. You can also use a little semolina on the floor to test temp. 3 secs until it turns black is ideal. 2 secs =too hot, 4 secs = not hot enough.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

FWIW, there do exist fairly cheap IR thermometers. My understanding is that they aren't as accurate down to the degree as the expensive ones, but that doesn't seem to matter for this application. I just bought this thermometer: Amazon.com: BAFX Products (TM) - Non Contact - Infrared (IR) Thermometer (-58F - +1,022F!) - BATTERY INCLUDED!: Everything Else off of amazon to help with curing my oven, and so far it seems to work okay.
      My build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...-dc-18213.html

Comment

Hi Guys
        Thanks for all the great tips - they will surely come in handly along my journey.

I am in the process of making an alluminium peel as well as a wooden peel. Just have a few questions regarding this.

1) For the alluminium peel, is there any special type of alluminium I should be looking for or will any alluminium work?

2) With regards to the wooden peel, same question, should I lookout for specific type of wood e.g. Hardwood or similar?

I'm still looking out for good firewood - most suppliers that have well seasoned wood won't sell to me only a few bundles - they want me to buy an entire load of it - almost a ton if I'm not mistaken but heck - if its good stuff I would go that route since this stuff is so hard to come buy.

Keep you guys updated
        Take Care
        OM

Comment

OM,

That's the way to buy wood. You're in a relationship, you feed it, it'll feed you.

Comment

I Guess you are right - I managed to locate a supplier - nice chap to deal with - I'm trying him out with a small load and if all goes well I'll end up taking a ton or maybe 2

I've been researching a bit between the difference of a wooden peel and aluminium peel for loading my pies into the oven as the s/s peel is sticking. I found most people prefer wooden since it slides off much easier so I'm leading towards the wooden peel.

I have found a few websites that have step by step with pictures on how to diy a wooden peel but the wood they recommend to use is Ply Wood. When I was researching the type of wood for the handle of my S/S peel, and David s can back me up on this - I was advised to use hardwood because of the heat however now for the wooden peel ply wood seems fine and unlike the handle of my S/S peel which doesn't get much exposure to the heat since its in there just to remove the pie, wouldn't the ply wood peel get more exposure to the fire hence chance of it not lasting very long - have I misunderstood somewhere along the way?

Thanks
            Regards
            OM

Comment

The leading edge of the wooden peel gets a bit of abrasion especially where it touches the hot floor. I prefer a solid piece of timber. I use pine because it is easier to shape. Tapering the leading edge takes longer than you would think. I find a flap disc on a 125 mm angle grinder the best method so far.i've killed two cheap 100mm grinders doing this operation, but the 125 copes much better.Laminated wooden peels tend to crack open at the joins particularly when they go into the dishwasher frequently. You can always run a sander over a wooden peel to clean it up occasionally.
              Last edited by david s; 12-04-2012, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                Laminated wooden peels tend to crack open at the joins particularly when they go into the dishwasher frequently.
                I'm pretty sure you shouldn't use dishwasher on any wooden instrument, or you risk ruining it.

Comment

Hi David
                  Thanks for the tips.

I'm glad you mentioned Pine Timber because as far as I'm aware, we have plenty available - I'm sure I'll be able to grab a few offcuts - I guess it should be untreated plain pine?

Just regarding the thickness of the timber, what do you suggest?

I think with regards to the tapering, I'm gonna ask a friend to do that for me - he has all the equipment and I'd just end up ruining it.

Thanks a mill
                  Regards
                  OM

Comment

Hi David

I've managed to source some Pine Wood however I've been told the maximum width everyone stocks is 200MM wide X 1.2M Length X 20mm Thick. I require atleast 300mm Wide but preferably 350MM. I've read a little about making my own wooden peel and the instructions suggest I glue multiple pieces together to get to the desired size. I have no problem doing so however I'm a little concerned about the glue and the whole food safety factor.

Is there a special glue i should be using?
                    What's the possibility of this glue leaching into my Pizza Dough?
                    Would the heat affect the bond and cause the wood to separate upon use?

Thanks
                    OM

Comment

Unless you have access to a biscuit joiner laminating the wood together will probably not be successful in the long term. You will need at least some clamps and use PVA glue,

Comment

Hi David

I have managed to source glue shown in the link below.
                        According to the description it's food safe for indirect contact - I have found a few other products online but not available here in SA and they all say food safe for indirect contact so i assume this would be OK to use?

Ultra Wood Glue | Wood | DIY Products | Alcolin

Thanks
                        OM

Comment

Sounds good, good luck.

Comment

Hi David

I want to also experiment eventually with retained heat cooking and bread baking. I was thinking of making a door for my oven and was wondering if the pine wood will work?

If not, what wood do you recommend?

Thanks
                            OM

Comment

Oven-man,

Wood is for fuel, use steel.

Comment

Originally posted by Oven_Man View Post
                                Hi David

I want to also experiment eventually with retained heat cooking and bread baking. I was thinking of making a door for my oven and was wondering if the pine wood will work?

If not, what wood do you recommend?

Thanks
                                OM
                                Wood is the traditional material used by Italians for their ovens. It is a much better insulator than steel which conducts heat out of the oven and gets dangerously hot unless it is insulated. Uninsulated wooden doors are likely to char somewhat and should not be put in place if the oven exceeds 300 C The Italians used to leave the wooden door in a bucket of water to help prevent charing, but it will still dry out relatively quickly on the inside surface. I think a hardwood is preferable and at least 19mm thick. Pine is likely to char the most quickly IMO. Check out what others have done by doing a search on doors. I use a timber called Quilla, which is hardwood, but it may not be available in SA.

Comment

Working...
                                X