New Pompeii challenges on space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pompeii challenges on space

I'm looking to build my first brick oven using the Pompeii model, but I have a number of restrictions/limiting factors that I could use some help:

(1) I'd like to build a 36" Pompeii as part of a 44"+/- wide and 8'-9' long BBQ island that will back up to my wooden perimeter fence.

(2) My biggest challenge is the recommeded size of the foundation (67" x 78") and block stand (59" x 90") is huge (IMHO) and more than the space I have. My space between my fence and patio cover post is 79" (70" to the post foundation. Is there any practical way to reduce the total size of oven (and the related foundation and block stand) and still maintain 36" interior diameter? My desired capacity is two(2) 15" pizzas (realistic? BTW - I won't go to refractory material, I want FB).

(3) I have a very tight budget and looking to spend maybe $1,000. I'd like to buy from Forno Bravo, but with freight it would be $2,000+ all-in (out of my budget). So I may have to just buy some of the components. I thought I saw a thread about making homemade FB, but couldn't find it a second time. I can buy MFB from the local brick yard for $1.47.

If all of this is too much and not do-able, I suppose I could move the oven project to the corner of the yard and set it up in a 45 degree angle.

I've read many threads and know you guys are pretty creative so I hoping for some good solutions.
    Last edited by ralogan55; 01-29-2010, 12:56 PM. Reason: Add Photo

Re: New Pompeii challenges on space

I don't see why the foundation needs to be bigger that the block stand. With that said, it looks like you will need 55 inches wide. This doesn't include the vent area or any working surface. If you build it on the end of your island you should have plenty of room. The home made mortar is:

3 parts sand
    1 part portland
    1 part lime
    1 part fire clay

Good luck,

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Les,

I like what you did. Mine plans are similar except the oven is at the other end. That's where the problem comes in. I can live with the 55" wide foundation and it'll still give me enough room (41"??) for the grill and counter space. My real problem is with the depth and it running into my patio post/post foundation and possibly interfering with the planned garden wall. See photo, if possible.

Can you make fire bricks from your mortar formula and is it work the effort vs. buying them?

Thanks for the tips.

Comment

If you are miking the island 8-9 feet long you should have plent of room. Here is a crude drawing of what I was trying to explain. Also, buy the brick. I think making them would be way too much hassle and most likely not as good.

Les...

Comment

Les,

Do you have measurements for your entire kitchen/island? I could build my island out from where you store your pizza utensils, but I'm still concerned about running into my patio post with the block stand. Thanks.

Rick

Comment

I need to run to a meeting - I'll post them later.

Les...

Comment

No problem.

I looked at all your photos - very clean job - strong attention to detail. I see that your stand is the standard 80" deep. That'll run into my patio post so I need to come up with something different.

I tried to download my photo, but the file is too big.

Comment

Make firebrick? They're cheaper than the refractory clay you'd make them out of, to say nothing of the effort and expense of firing them. In countries like Australia where firebricks are ruinously expensive they struggle with plain red brick and various refractory concretes, which we don't need to do here.

If you're on a tight budget, you need to scrounge for used/surplus materials.

Your space questions will be answered by laying out your oven on paper. All will be revealed.
                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
                  I need to run to a meeting - I'll post them later.

Les...
                  The island is a little over 14 foot long and 4 foot wide. The area where the oven sits is a little over 7x7.

Les...

Comment

I went out and re-measured and if I remove another few feet of the planter I can make it 11' long. With a 7X7 stand I'll still run into the patio post and footing.

I'm going to lay it out on grid paper like dmum suggested and see what I can do. Most of the people that are doing brick ovens seem to have lots of space. Most of the lots in San Diego county are small (unless you have crap-load of money) at around 5,000 - 7,000 sf. That doesn't leave a lot of room for a patio and a pizza oven.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by ralogan55 View Post
                      That doesn't leave a lot of room for a patio and a pizza oven.
                      Get rid of the patio

Comment

A little late for that. I just had it installed and my options were limited there also. It looks like I just may have to go to a smaller oven. Thanks.

Comment

I would go with the smaller oven approach too. Too large an oven in a small patio may look out of place and proportion.......almost like putting a 60" flat screen tv in a tiny living room.
                          George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

If I could somehow get the stand depth below 50" (width is less of a problem) I think I could make it work. I'm still trying to figure out if there's any advantage of turning it to 45 degrees.

Most posts indicate that a 36" pompeii oven is ideal. I don't want to overthink this thing, but I don't want to be sorry I built it too small. Hey, this is America...where there's a will, there's a way.

Can someone please help me with photos and/or plans for a smaller Pompeii oven? I've gone through the threads but didn't see much help. If I go smaller is there an ideal smaller size - 28" to 32" ???

Thanks.

Comment

My 36 is on a stand about 64x64. (corner install) I used up just about all that space- it comes within an inch or so of each side. I have a lot of vermcrete on each side as well as two layers of blanket, with stucco on top of it all. You could conceivably make a smaller footprint if you just use the blanket and then make an enclosure. It's kind of hard to just stucco directly over blanket.

Have you looked at the smaller ovens ready made on FB? I'd go with a Primavera 70, which is 28". That's plenty big enough, really. I could do 3 pizzas at a time in mine, but I can't actually pay attention to 3 at a time...Your shipping shouldn't be bad, since you're already in CA. If you're making a smaller oven anyway, I'd look at one of those. In the long run, with firebrick, insulation, concrete, etc., you probably won't spend that much more on one, and it will fit your space better. Your back will also thank you. And if you're into instant gratification, well, believe me, doing it yourself, while a great deal of fun, takes a while. And tools. Not all that much skill, however.
                              Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Working...
                              X