Minimum oven size - advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum oven size - advice please

I have finally decided to build what I need to simply bake a few pizzas in the evening at home - as close as possible to the low dome Napoli type. But space is an issue for me, and I was wondering what experience people out there who have made their ovens have with the minumum dome width? I was hoping to go down to 27 inches/ 68 cm.

1. What is the minimum practical size I can get away with for baking one pizza at a time?

2. Refractory clay moulded on sand or bricks cut into thirds for the construction?

I noticed that Forno Bravo make ovens smaller than 30 inches, but is there space for the embers as well in those, or are they for non-Napoli pizzas?

If anyone can help with this, I would appreciate it lots!

John

Re: Minimum oven size - advice please

Look at thread "32" big enough."
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Link for above mentioned thread

I sure wouldn't make an oven that small, or out of clay for that matter. There are people who have tiny ovens, but I don't know what they do with them. Superior Clay makes a 24" modular oven. For what? cupcakes?
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I made a 36", one of the smallest on FB. I'm not quite cooking in yet (next week maybe!!!). Remember that you need more room than for just the food because for several things (namely pizza) it's nice to keep the fire going while you're cooking, so you want room for a fire on one side and a pizza or two on the other. I wouldn't go much smaller than the low thirties (of inches).

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
        Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Interesting about the size and what do people do with those ovens. It was those people who I was hoping would post an answer on this thread.

As for the clay, my mistake, I meant to say refractory mortar. I just need an oven thats heats up super fast, and then allows me to bake a few pizzas. So I imagine that residual heat is not so important if I have a good fire going for a short time... Not sure.

Oh, and and I have just found in that link above, david s seems to like his 21'' oven! I might talk to him about his technique with the position of his embers during baking.

John

Comment

My inside diameter is 40" and it is a good size. I don't clean out the coals after every use so it affords me a little extra room for coals. I also like being able to cook entire meals in the oven. My WFO is insulated well enough to cook in it for a couple of days after the pizza firing, and I like taking advantage of the heat.
            My WFO project: http://picasaweb.google.com/stevprin/WFOSmallPhotos#

Comment

Hi, It's a long time ago I know. but did you have any luck finding the smallest practical size for an oven? I am about to start building a small oven.
              Cheers
              Nick

Comment

Go to the Newbie Section under Forno Bravo Treasures by Lburou. There is a link on this thread called Gene's small oven (28"), that's pretty small.
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

since ther start of the thread, a long time ago, I have gained a little more experience myself. What I have found is that people are managing with all sorts of sizes, from the minimum sizes quoted in this list.

What I have found is that it all depends on what you want to do. If you are happy to struggle with the wood burning, giving off lots of heat, and maybe burning the edge of pizzas easily. If you are happy to make small pizzas. If you are happy to keep careful eye on whats going on. Then a smaller size will be OK.

As for me, I upsized, and I like the 'freedom' it has given me to be more flexible with what I want to do. I can focus on doing other things right.
                  John

Comment

My oven is 21" internal diam. I find it adequate and for cooking pizzas for up to 30 people it's a breeze to do 90 sec pizzas. A small oven is easier and cheaper to build. You tend to use it more often and fuel consumption is really low.

Comment

Brilliant, thanks. Do you have any photo's, details, etc?
                      Cheers
                      Nick

Comment

Internal diam 21" supporting slab 900 x900 mm weight 250 Kgs.
                        dome thickness 60 mm floor thickness 50 mm

Comment

My current build is a 32" inside diameter. I have used and built ovens up to 46" and I feel that a smaller oven is very capable of doing the job. Unless you plan on cooking 3 or more pizzas at a time...it all comes down to how you plan on using the oven
                          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                          John Ruskin

Comment

I know space might be tight, but if you can go bigger, say 42" you wont regret it. You may start off just thinking pizza, but end up making entire meals and really enjoying the space and ability to pull it off, good luck
                            !
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...s-i-18098.html

Comment

If you are thinking of casting your oven, then the easiest way for a one off, is to trowel castable refractory over a sand mould covered in wet newspaper. Creating moulds for multi piece castings is not worth all the work for one casting. Regarding size, my 21" oven is quite adequate to cook the family Sunday roast and or a few loaves of bread. Small ovens are easier and cheaper to build and use way less fuel so you tend to use them more often.

Comment

Working...
                              X