Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minimum oven size - advice please

Hi David,
    Thanks for your message. presumably with yours you would move the coals to one side before cooking, or would you drag them out?
    I am thinking of an oven made over a pile of sand. I am thinking of mixing vermiculite with clay soil to see if that gives a better insulation.
    Any thoughts welcomed.

Comment

Originally posted by trenchn View Post
      Hi David,
      Thanks for your message. presumably with yours you would move the coals to one side before cooking, or would you drag them out?
      I am thinking of an oven made over a pile of sand. I am thinking of mixing vermiculite with clay soil to see if that gives a better insulation.
      Any thoughts welcomed.
      It depends what I'm cooking and how long the fire has been going, whether I move coals. If doing a roast I usually fire for exactly one hour, then push the coals aside, place the roast and fit the door. With no oxygen to the fire the coals die. If cooking pizzas I usually remove half the coals to make more room and maintain a fire on the side.

The usual mix for insulation is 5:1 vermiculite, sand for under the floor and 10:1 over the dome (for an igloo) or loose vermiculite for an enclosure. I can't see any advantage in using soil instead of cement. It would still reduce the insulating capacity like cement, but give you zero strength.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

can I ask for you for the exact measurements of the oven from the inside please?

Comment

Vendixia,
          I presume you question was directed at me. My oven is a hemisphere and it's diameter at the base on the inside is 540mm. The vent extends out another 150mm.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks for your reply David. Yes it was directed at you :-) I was planning at building a wood oven with a diamter of about 50cm. However I was not sure whether when putting a pizza in it, there's enough space remaining for the wood. How do you manage? :-)

Comment

Working...
            X