X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• insulation blanket

Hello Everyone!

Just one quick question before I order:
    How much insulation do I need to order to cover my 42" oven with 3 layers?

Thanks for your patience!

Cecelia

Re: insulation blanket

Cecelia,
    I think three of the rolls that FB sells. I KNOW that I have used two, so far, and plan on adding one more before I call it "good". Seems I may have three layers on the top but only two on the sides. My oven is 41" in diameter.

Hope this helps.

dusty

Comment

I used 2 rolls for a 42 inch. I also added some vermiculite on top of it but will never know if it was needed.

Les...
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Cecilia,
        I built a 42" last year and I ordered 3 FB blankets. I did have a 1/3 left over after 2+ layers on the side and 3-4 on top. I think I could have gotten by with 2 but it would have been really tight. I was glade to be able to cover the base of my vent and I have some left over to use for stuffing in between the steel joists, the vent were poked thru the roof and in the oven door I theoretically will make one day. I know it's an extra, what $75? but it's the easiest, yet REALLY important product to install on the oven. Hope this helps, Dino
        "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
        http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
        http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

I used two rolls for a 42 inch oven and got three layers. Works beautifully.

Comment

Thanks everyone - I guess I will go ahead and order three rolls. gulp!
            That's 150 bucks in shipping, ya know!
            But I am anxious to get going once we get some good weather.

cecelia

Comment

I have a 42" oven and will be picking up my blankets at the expo this weekend. I was planning on 3, but with the responses to this thread maybe I will go with two, because I have 3 bags of vermiculite left to add when I finish my enclosure.

Tom
              Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Comment

Hi, all-

I plan on using four balnkets for my 42" oven. I have three already and the fourth is on backorder and I still have time for a refund. I know that sounds like overkill, and it's not like I am made of $$, but I am not using any vermiculite and I want to make sure that there is zero equilibrium going on between the inside of the dome and the outside.

Has anyone used four? I already have three, should I just use three?

Thanks.

Tom
                Menifee, CA
                Jack of all trades, Master of none!

Comment

Does anyone know if 4 blankets would be overkill for my 42" dome? I already have three and the fourth is on backorder so I still have time for a refund. I am not using vermiculite.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Tom

Comment

Hi, all-

Just to let you know that I went ahead and used all three balnkets and each roll covered my 42" oven (dome plus vent area) to the square inch! I was able to get three layers everywhere with an extra layer on the top.

Three is perfect if you seam them correctly!

Got my refund-

Tom

Comment

Hi, all

As a follow up to my insulation question about three versus four FB blankets, I have been firing up to 1200 degrees the last few days and the outside temp on the mortar shell never got above 95 dgrees, even after two hours of fire.

Three is more than adequate for efficient insulation on a 42 inch dome!

Tom
                      Menifee, CA

Comment

Yikes! 1200 degrees
                        Isn't it fun () to go that high although I don't think I've gotten over 950. That's good to know, it kinda corroborates how well the FB blanket works for our ovens.
                        Glad to hear you only used 3 blankets and saved some money. And your done just in time for the summer too.
                        -Dino
                        "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                        http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                        http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Dino-

Hey thanks for replying to my message. I wanted you to know that I used your idea on my entry arch according to the pictures you posted. I cut the notches out for the reveal as you did. I really liked the way it came out!

I printed out your picture and had it outside by the arch as I built it.

Right now I am finishing the dome with common brick. It's more work than I anticipated, but it's gonna look great.

I have already cooked four pizzas, two loaves of bread and we did chicken for dinner. I thought maybe it was all in my mind that it tasted so incredible, but my family backs me up on the fact that everything coming out of it is has the most amazing taste we have ever experienced.

Well worth the 5 months!

Sincerely,

Tom

Comment

Working...
                          X