Castaic FireBrick? Is it ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Castaic FireBrick? Is it ok?

Im using the same post so as not to muddy the site. I was curious if anyone had used this brick and was satisfied with it. I was unable to get an answer on the silica and aluminum content percentage.
    I bought some fire brick locally (Tucson) and it is the correct size 2.5x4.5x9, But it is red. So I wasnt sure if this is the right stuff. So i called the company castaic brick or pacific clay products. I inquired what grade it was, but they dont make different grades. They said its firebrick and will work for my oven. I had them email an msds sheet and here is what it says.
    A. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION;
    FIRED CLAY PRODUCTS CONTAINING NO ADDITIVES:Firebacks (Extruded).
    Products Components
    <P> ------------------- CAS - % by Wt - ACGIH TIV - CSHA PEL
    <P>1. Aluminum Silicates: Var, 50-70, 10 mg/m?, 15 mg/m?
    <P>2. Mineral Compounds of Var, 7-9, 10-15 mg/m?, 10 mg/m?
    <P> Iron, Calcium
    <P> Magnesium:

So I am confused as too what the actuall alumina content is.

So if any one can comment on it, i would appreciate it. maybe someone has used castaic or knows something about it. I want to be sure, because there is no turning back once I start. Thanks
    Last edited by breakn; 02-24-2010, 05:56 PM.

Re: Castaic FireBrick? Is it ok?

I don't know about this specific product, but there is red firebrick. Well, sort of red. And it tends to fade.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

It should be fine. I have both red and buff firebrick and the specs are the same for both.

Comment

I just dont want it to end up being insulating fire brick that wont hold the heat.

Comment

As a rule, insulating fire brick will be white and light.

Comment

Working...
          X