BT starts new oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BT starts new oven

Enough is enough. It is time to get started. I have all the blocks for the base and as you can see I already have a place to put it.

I used this site for a lot of information on building the smoker. I learned a lot from that build that will help me with this build. Since this site was a resource for me, one day while smoking some nice BBQ, I decided to make some pizza. Without a dome to reflect the heat, they had to go under the broiler for a few seconds, but they tasted great. I just moved the coals to the back of the firebox and baked the pizza right in the firebox. It was because of that pizza that I got permission from the Boss to go ahead with the WFO.

The open area next to the smoker / grill, was originally designed to put the gas grill there so I could get it off the back porch. That hasn?t happened so the WFO is going there.

Tomorrow I will begin stacking the blocks and by the end of the day I hope to start filling cores with concrete. Does anyone know approximately how may bags it takes to fill one core? It might save some trips to Lowes.

I haven't set a completion date but expect it will take a while. I am looking forward to this project.

bt

Re: BT starts new oven

.26 CuFt per 8" CMU, .66 CuFt per 80# bag of concrete mix .

Comment

BT - I really like your grill/smoker set up and have been looking at incorporating the same thing into my kitchen project. Do you have some more detailed info on how you put this together? Is it off the shelf products or custom made. How did you do your firebox under the counter? Thanks - Scott
      Scott -

My projects: http://www.facebook.com/#!/scott.kerr.794

Comment

Scott

The whole thing is custom made. All the steel is ?? plate. I had a friend do the welding for me. While I can weld, my welding skills are not as good as his are. I got a lot of ideas from reading this forum.

The main body is concrete block with 2 inches of concrete poured between layers where needed. The firebox and the grill pit are lined with firebrick. The concrete layers are made with the perlite concrete mixture and parged with heatstop II. I made the mistake of not dry stacking the block thinking that it would be easier to match sizes with finishing materials with the block being slightly smaller than 8?. Dry stack and cut the tile and firebrick.

About the only thing I would do differently, would be to use some insulation on the firebox behind the firebrick. After a long smoke, all that block heats up and I end up with about a 1/8? gap on the tile grout on the side of the smoker. Also I didn?t allow for enough clearance on the firebox door during the first fire which caused one tile to break when the door expanded and stuck. I have attached some drawings that I used for your info.

bt
        Attached Files

Comment

Scott

Here is the drawing for the steel. The 1/8" metal is used as a base flange for the metal to sit on the concrete.

bt
          Attached Files

Comment

bt - Thanks for the drawings as they will be quite useful in my planning. I am curious as to your use of firebrick in the box and grill pit. Does it heat up ok or does the brick act as a heatsink slowing down your heat buildup? I have a smoker with a firebrick box that takes longer to heat up than a steel box. Look forward to following your oven build. - Scott
            Scott -

My projects: http://www.facebook.com/#!/scott.kerr.794

Comment

Scott

The brick may act as a heat sink, as after a couple of hours it takes less fire to maintain the 200 -220 degrees I am aiming for. There is so much mass with all the block and steel that I don?t think the fire brick makes much of a difference to the heating. There are no problems with heat up for smoking.

The blocks are laid and the cores are filled. Next week I should be able to pour the slab. Then I will have to order the insulation and buy the brick. I will post photos in the next few days.

bt

Comment

I have a question. How do you determine the placement of the inner arch? Due to space limitations, my oven will be 32? internal diameter. Is there a formula for placing the inner arch? It seems to me that if the inner arch is too far out or too far in you will have problems with the arch dome transition.

Maybe I am thinking too much and should just start building. I?m one of the detail type persons and have to have everything planned out in my head first.

The insulation is ordered from FB, the first order of bricks has been purchased, the stand is finished, and construction should begin next week.

Thanks
                bt

Comment

Working...
                X