42" Pompeii WFO build (Tucson, Az) Please Critique Or Suggest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42" Pompeii WFO build (Tucson, Az) Please Critique Or Suggest

I have already started into the build, But now Im in the brick oven phase. I would deffinetaly appreciate suggestions. I have been doing tons of research and will SURELY MISS TONS OF THINGS. So please remind me or suggest or flat out tell me im wrong.
    My goal: I want it to have a finished look of James' oven. I want the chimney to finish in the center of the oven, just like James'. It will be enclosed with steel studs and have stucco complete. I am going to use tumbled slate on the exterior entrance. So no brick will be exposed or showing. it will be covered with backerboard and then slate and stucco..
    I will flare my landing from a 20" opening with a 1" lip for the door to seal against, to a 28" opening.
    I now have a few ?s:
    1. Which Vent chimney?- I can buy clay pipe and cut angles to center it over the oven. I can also get steel 8" square by any length, that is 1/4 or 3/8 thick, really cheap. I could weld it all to fit. I am not going to spend the money on duratech although it would make life easier.
    2. For my vent attachment area- should I arch it with brick, Run it flat with no arch using Steel that is painted to help it last, or cast something. (I have abilities to weld and do just about anything else.)
    3. using home brew mix. how wide is too wide on an exterior joint.

here are some pics of my yard, just to show the idea behind it all. I am trying for Japanese style, Unfortunately its hard in AZ heat.
    Last edited by breakn; 03-01-2010, 08:50 PM.

Re: 42" Pompeii WFO build (Tucson, Az) Please Critique Or Suggest

1. I would go with the pipe over steel - although where you live rust is not an issue.

2. Go with the arch. I think it gives you a better chance of a good draw. Also, if you go with the pipe it's pretty easy to shape it with an angle grinder.

3. I think my max joint was around 5/8 on the outside. It's covered now so I have no clue if it is a problem.

Just my opinions - hope it helps.

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I saw a post of drakes 38" oven. How would that compare. Its a castable flue that has no brick work to it . I cant tell from james photo what he did. so I was really unsure what to do. The clay flue I would think would be the best for longevity. But i dont know if it would be easy to get it to center on the whole oven.
      I like your main flue, what were the dimensions. It is nicer for the tie in.
      YOur brick enclosure around your chimney, Does it have space? and just tie in at the top?

Thanks for your help as well.
      Last edited by breakn; 03-01-2010, 10:38 PM.

Comment

The clay flu, although it's pretty hard, is easy to shape. I think James used one of the ovens he sells - if you have the $$$, that's the easy ticket. I don't recall the dimensions of my vent opening - you can dig thru the gallery and see what it is (looking at brick space) There is a gap between the brick and flu - it's around 2 inches and I filled it with vermiculite/portland.

les...
        Last edited by Les; 03-02-2010, 10:36 AM.
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by breakn View Post
          here are some pics of my yard, just to show the idea behind it all. I am trying for Japanese style, Unfortunately its hard in AZ heat.
          How about an oven enclosure designed around a stone garden pagoda?
          George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Ya, nice looking water feature and pond! Is it pond liner with rock over it? I plan on rebuilding my 8' round pond into a 18' long thing that will be in view of my WFO, AFTER I totally finish the oven!

Regarding your ???'s: First, looking at james build with the vent in the middle: I assume he could do that 'cuz he used the duratech SS (which already comes insulated for you) and 2 joints or elbows. I looked for his thread but couldn't find it to see if it's true. I don't see how you can do clay pipe out the center, but I never thought I could have built and oven either .

All the clay pipe (which I think is a super way to go, though I used the duratech) I 've seen lately here is a rectangular (8"ish x 16"ish?) cut in half at a diagonally and re-mortared to make a tapering vent.

Also, I think going all brick arch is good because all your materials are the same stuff close to the heat so they expand equally. By the time you cut and place your soldier course and diagonal flooring perimeter, you'll be a semi-pro at the arch thing.

Cheers, Dino
            "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
            http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
            http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Yah, my ponds are rubber epdm liner that are bare, they have a few boulders in them but for the most part they are exposed under the water line. It allows you to clean it. and rock just creates problems regarding punctures etc. Ill try to take a pic of the whole yard. I have 23,000 gallons in my ponds with a hot tub inset in the water as an island.
              But back to things that matter, I have access to 8x8 clay flue here in tucson. So i would just use that and use 2 at the base to taper it. But I think if I brace it with steel studs and so forth, Or brick with crossbeams on top of it, I think I could center it. But im not totally sure of it.
              By the way dino, YOur build is a huge help, You have plenty of pics as well, So thank you.

Comment

Thanks breakn, I wanted to document my wfo build well and hope it's as helpful as others have been to me.
                I see your oven base is poured. Are you going with a 4" vermi-crete mix on top or are you buying 2" rigid insulation? (or a bit of both?, some have done that). The island hearth is a pretty cool trick too. Lot's of luck on your oven build, looking forward to seeing it!
                Cheers, Dino (island hot tub in your pond?, very nice)
                "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

My Oven Thread

Comment

I have 2" insulating board underneath. And I am going to wrap it in the insulating cloth 2" worth and fill the oven surround with vermiculate 4" thick at edges skinniest point.
                  So I am hopefully going to put a full day into it monday.
                  I am going to go with clay flue chimney and probably use 2 at the base, so that it goes from 15" wide to 8". I still want to angle it to center the chimney over the oven. Any ideas on how to best do this. Bracing it up or so forth.
                  I am going to steel stud enclosure the oven and fill it with vermiculate. I wasn't sure if I need to leave spacing around the chimney and so forth.
                  Any thoughts?
                  Last edited by breakn; 03-07-2010, 09:34 PM.

Comment

I found a pic of James entry which I really like the fact that it is flat on top and not arched. IS that just a flue stainless steel? or sheet metal. Or something purchased?
                    I have skills as a welder. Could I weld that or have my sheet metal guy bend that. If so what is used, Stainless? Maybe cast it out of concrete?

any ideas?
                    I hope its okay I repost this pic for a description. IF it isn't please remove it, and my appologies.

Comment

Hi Breakn,
                      Sorry I cant help you with the chimney, My question is that yu have a really large span across the front of your base, is it supportd with angle iron ? Or do you have another plan... Its hard to tell from the pics...
                      Cheers
                      Mark

Comment

Rebar in the concrete with no angle iron.

Comment

Ok So after almost a year (only get 2 hrs a week, because of my work schedule) I Have finished everything almost.
                          I am planing on insulating the dome with 3 rolls of 1" insulation, Steel stud square exterior and cement board that will then be filled with insulation. A sloped steel stud roof with no overhang. I will stucco it and it will finish somewhat similar to JAMES oven. I have fire brick as my arches, I flared my opening and did a 1" reveal. I built the oven so I have no more than 1/8 JOints everywhere. So a lot of cutting and Grinding was done. Now on to my questions.
                          1.I am planing on using clay chimney pipe, I cut 2 diagonally so it will flare from 14" by 7" to a 7" square (inside dimensions) and go straight up with a 2' length of 7" square. So my chimney will be 3' high on top of the arches.
                          Any problems noted with that?

2. I am going to mortar the chimney directly onto the brick arches. I was going to place brick around the chimney pipe about 2" tall and leave a 1/4" space between the brick and the chimney and fill it with high temp. Caulking, Doing this to add some strength and keep that joint from cracking and leaking smoke into my enclosure.
                          Any Problems or suggestions with that?

3. I am going to fill the whole enclosure including around the chimney (I am not putting any seperate enclosure around the chimney itself) with perlite insulation or the stuff from uline.
                          Any Problems or suggestions with That?

4. I want to put slate on the front. So should I leave the cement board back where it meets the Front arch brick on the side, So you would see both Cement Board and the Brick arch, and set tile onto the cement board and it also installs onto the Brick, Would the heat effect the Slate Install. I assume that the arch will get just about as hot as the rest of the oven. Or should I run the cement board to cover the arch and then set tile onto that. The problem would be that from the inside of the arch the side the cement board would be visible.
                          what is the best solution there?
                          Thanks for your replys and to the many ovens that have helped me along the way.

Comment

Congratulations on being almost done. 3 rolls of insulation is the way to go. Insulation is key.
                            regards your questions, (though its been a week and you probably moved on):
                            1. Your tapering vent with the added extension should draw well.
                            2. Sounds fine, would love to see pics though.
                            3. Insulating your chimney and enclosure is good too. Heating up the clay pipe and keeping it warm will ensure good draft.
                            4. Not sure...the outer arch and arch walls do get quite warm. However, I've found my slate roof and stone facade get very hot in sun, so much so people think the ovens been on when it's been weeks since I fired it. I would think slate is as durable ad cement board. But that's just a guess.

Post your progress pics if you've got any, it's great to see different styles of ovens.

-Dino

My Oven Thread

Comment

Here are some pics. Done with my phone so they arent great but...
                              Hopefully you can get an idea
                              I will try to take some other shots later.

Comment

Working...
                              X