Waterproofing Outdoor Igloo Style Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Waterproofing Outdoor Igloo Style Oven

I used a driveway sealer (3 coats) and that seems to be OK.

Has been pretty dry here lately but the rains come in a few months time so that will be the big test of its waterproofness...
    / Rossco

Comment

Simple elstomeric paint over cement would seem to be ideal to me, although driveway sealer should remain both breathable and flexible. Is it black?

Comment

" There are elastomeric acrylic finishes, but even they will not bridge any cracks in the base over 1/8" and they are iffy on anything over 1/16"

Yes, this is what I used. Painted on two layer directly onto the vermcrete. Did the curing and firing. Several cracks developed, some were about 1/16 inch. I then put on another layer of the acrylic stucco. No problems since

Comment

Just to be clear, Acrylic finishes are troweled on, with an application thickness of 1/8-1/4". Acrylic paints ("coatings" is the real term) are applied with a brush at 20-40 mils dry. Both can be elastomeric, but neither are unless specifically designated as such.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
            Simple elstomeric paint over cement would seem to be ideal to me, although driveway sealer should remain both breathable and flexible. Is it black?
            I'm sorry, I don't know what your question is referring to. Do you mean the render of the oven or the paint?
            sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
            WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
            Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)

Comment

Thanks for the wonderful feedback, Guys. I went to a local hardware store to see if they had the products you just mentioned (like the elastomeric paint, sealers, etc) and they advised me to use WaterTite 102 instead. Anyone know which is more durable? Capillary waterproofing or cementitious water proofing?

Basically, WaterTite102 vs. Aquashield. Which would you prefer?
              Last edited by Raffy; 03-20-2010, 05:39 AM.
              sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
              WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
              Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)

Comment

I was looking for waterproofing my oven as welll and stumbled upon this post. Just thought I should add my 2 cents worth. I used pond sealer from Bunnings (in Australia - a hardware store)

Waterproofing Crommelin 1l Pondsealer Clear 7205-001 I/N 0960202 | Bunnings Warehouse

Comment

Working...
                X