Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you had the chance to rebuild your oven, what would you change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If you had the chance to rebuild your oven, what would you change?

[QUOTE=fornax hominus;91889]I wish I had put in a niche to hold my beer, I have lost count of how many I have knocked to the ground with peels, tools and my elbows.

OMG! The horror. No pizza, no matter how good is worth the life of a quality beer!!!

Mark (I brew a lot)

Comment

I would definitely put another product in the entry way other than fire brick. It's not a problem when cooking pizza and breads, but beer can chicken and the Tuscan grill has made a mess of it. I would think that there is a lot of product that is "cleanable" that can withstand the reduced heat.

Les...
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I would think that there is a lot of product that is "cleanable" that can withstand the reduced heat.
        Mine has some stainless steel which seems to be doing the job nicely.
        Robert

I love watching my crust rise and change colour in my WFO.

Comment

Originally posted by robs View Post
          Mine has some stainless steel which seems to be doing the job nicely.
          Robs,

After my post I was talking to the wife and then I had the epiphany, use a sheet of stainless - you beat me to it. . Much easier then removing the brick (it will also match my flue cover and BBQ)

Les...

Comment

Originally posted by fornax hominus View Post
            ...I wish I had put in a niche to hold my beer, I have lost count of how many I have knocked to the ground with peels, tools and my elbows.
            tim
            Now that's a crucial piece of info! Should be a tip for the main manual please James - think green - dont waste! :-)

Comment

I'd build a giant 'can' around the outside of the dome (inside the dog house) with sheet metal or metal screen to hold the vermiculite right around and over the dome. I almost filled my dog house with vermiculite and I'm sure a good portion of it is just sitting there wasted!
              Rick
              View my pictures at, Picasaweb.google.com/xharleyguy

Comment

Rick ,
                I don't think you can have too much insulation. Most people wished they had put in a little more . Vemiculite does settle and although it has heat resistance it's not as effective as say ceramic blanket.
                I'm wishing I had put a vent in the top of my dome in case I get a moisture build up in the vermiculite from doing stocks and adding all that steam to my breads.

Comment

One more item..
                  Champfer the inside of the entry to minimize chipping when tending the fire and cleaning the oven out. Just a 1/4 to 1/2 inch would keep chipping of this edge to a minimum.

Chris
                  Last edited by SCChris; 04-25-2011, 10:59 AM.

Comment

^^^ Funny you mention this, I'm actually going to retrofit angle irons on both sides of the inner entry sometime soon as the bottom corners are starting to chip from the use of oven tools and roasting pans.
                    George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Originally posted by SCChris View Post
                      One more item..
                      Champfer the inside of the entry to minimize chipping when tending the fire and cleaning the oven out. Just a 1/4 to 1/2 inch would keep chipping of this edge to a minimum.

Chris
                      Great point. I just noticed this weekend that I had a chip. Don't remember doing it - most likely too much wine.

Comment

Won't be as neat and precise but I guess you can take an angle grinder to round off or bevel the edges.
                        George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

George, at some point I may take a grinder but to date it's no big deal. I just figured since it was on my mind, I'd pass it along to the next generation.
                          Les, :-)

Chris

Comment

I'd pay more attention to the door/chimney area. But for those new to brickwork - that is the hardest bit - so I opted to keep it simple. You don't get such a good seal on the door or neat chimney - but it still cooks good.

James

Comment

I'd have invested in a good brick saw. I did everything with an angle grinder or chisel, and some of my stuff was less than neat. I covered it with mortar. works great and nobody notices, but I do. If I ever build another (I hope not), I'd pay more attention to the angles.

Comment

Originally posted by SCChris View Post
                                One more item..

Chris
                                This is definitely a problem, I thought I was the only one. My next oven will have a pre-cast angle iron entry way with a hinged door (with my name on it...haha). I am hitting that edge, all the time, with my peel. When a chip of fire-brick comes flying-off, it breaks my heart.
                                Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Working...
                                X