Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Perilite concrete not setting up--normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Perilite concrete not setting up--normal?

I agree cuz once it's in it's in, Should I add anything to the vermiculite cement mixture.

Comment

Originally posted by BarryKeith View Post
      Well thank you all for your advise, I am going the safe route and tearing out the old and relaying a new vermiculite to "cement" mixture. Question so I don't have to tear out another one, do I just add 5 parts vermiculite to 1 part cement? Do I add anything else?

Also with the homemade mortar is it 1 part fire clay to 3 parts sand to 1 part lime to 1 part portland cement? It is portland cement and not a mortar mix?.?

I feel dumb asking, but not as dumb as I felt ripping out the old.

Yes all the proportions are correct.
      sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
      WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
      Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)

Comment

"Should I add anything to the vermiculite cement mixture."

No. Remember to hand mix gently to avoid breaking down the vermiculite particles. Once poured,you can start building on it after a couple of days but keep it continually damp for at least a week .

Comment

Also remember that the texture is unlike anything you're used to! It won't ever set up like "real" concrete. The best description is like cork. It's quite strong in compression, but not if you chip at it. I used cove base as my form for the vermicrete under my dome,and then left it in place while I built, so it didn't get nibbled away by accident (my dome is on top of my floor, not around it).
          Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

"(my dome is on top of my floor, not around it)"

So is mine. For what its worth, I think this a better arraignment when using vermicrete - the weight is transferred a bit more evenly. Also, you don't have to do all the precision cutting of the hearth bricks. The downside is that , although possible, replacing or removing the hearth bricks that go under the wall is more difficult.

Comment

I used concrete and it never really set up. I trashed it and used the board for insulation. Good luck

Comment

After tearing out the old I was happy I did. We set the new cement and it looks like everyone described it. It is setting up much better. Thank you all.

Comment

I'm going to commit some thread necromancy here because this thread contains a lot of the problems I'm experiencing right now. I made a 4" slab mixing 4 cubic feet of perlite to 2 80lb bags of concrete, and I got something that crumbled apart when I went to lift it up into place. Where I grabbed it in the corners, it simply broke off.

I had mixed it the consistency similar to just-palatable oatmeal and it seemed to pour all right. I had waited 2 weeks since I was building the foundation and walls for it last week. The chunks that broke off showed no moisture. It just had no structure to it at all. The rebar inside didn't help at all either.

So I can see here I needed to use cement . Of course now it's the weekend and it's very difficult to find perlite or vermiculite. I may succeed and pour again tomorrow.

What I am wondering is if anybody has tried to make a slab like this. I leveled out my firebricks under sand to make a base, dropped an old shower curtain liner over it, dropped down a frame over that, and poured the mix into this. The idea was then I could pull a few bricks out of the corners and get four pairs of hands into each corner, lift it up, and drop it onto my cinder block walls with a little mortar waiting to go.

Comment

Working...
                  X