Cement Render (Stucco) Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cement Render (Stucco) Question

I am now ready to cement render the outside of my dome on top of the insulation and would like some advise on how thick you made yours and whether you had any problems with cracking due to movement?

I have 100mm of insulation which is covered with chicken wire to hold it down and to hold it in shape. I was thinking of about 20-25mm of cement based render.

I don?t know how much "reinforcing" effect the chicken wire will have as it is fairly tight over the insulation and I don?t think that much render will penetrate below that. Does it need another cover of chicken wire in the middle of the render to reinforce it?

Once I had completed the render I will colour with oxide and waterproof.
    Thank for any suggestions.

Paul
    Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
    (Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)

Re: Cement Render (Stucco) Question

Actually, your best bet is to include polypropylene fibers and the iron oxide pigments into the last coat of your render. The first coat is called the base coat and should also contain the fiber reinforcing, but no color and is applied from 3/8 to 1/2" depth. The second coat is called the browncoat or scratchcoat and if applied should be troweled on at right angles to the way you applied the base coat at 1/4 to 3/8 inch depth. The second coat is optional but desirable especially if you do not use fiber reinforced render. The final or finish coat is a 1/4 to an 1/8 of an inch thick and should have your iron oxide colorants and fiber reinforcement in the mix.

Comment

Tscarborough,

Thanks for the info. I hadn't thought of using fibres and this will be much easier. Is a total thickness of 3/4" enough to stop cracking over a flexible base such as the insulation?
      Paul

Comment

Well, technically all stucco cracks, the best you can do is to control where and how much it does so. The edges should be cased out with X66 casing bead, and try not to have any right angles. Cove the areas around your entryway, etc.

Comment

Fire your oven until all the moisture has been eliminated before you do the stucco. Moisture left in there can turn to steam and create pressure and leads to cracks.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

My oven has been complete for several months now. I have been too busy using it to get around to finishing it so it should be well and truely dry
            Paul

Comment

to stop the cracking something I tried was adding equal amounts of lime 1:1 to cement. Has anyone else tried this?

Comment

Yes, The lime provides some elasticity, but if it cracks anyway, give it a good coat of flexible acrylic stucco.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                X