Mixing/Applying Mortar Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing/Applying Mortar Question

How do most people mix up their mortar? In buckets, wheelbarrows, etc? And after it's mixed, do you work directly from the bucket, or transfer to a board of something?

When I did my soldier course, I mixed my mortar in a wheelbarrow, and transferred piles of it to a scrap piece if plywood as I worked. I'm about to start my dome, I was wondering if there a better way?

Thanks!
    Toby

Re: Mixing/Applying Mortar Question

I only mixed small portions at a time (pre-mixed home brew) in a small paint pail that gave me about 30 minutes worth of brick laying time. I scooped mortar directly out of the pail to butter just one side of each brick laid.

George
    George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Originally posted by fxpose View Post
      I only mixed small portions at a time (pre-mixed home brew) in a small paint pail that gave me about 30 minutes worth of brick laying time. I scooped mortar directly out of the pail to butter just one side of each brick laid.

George
      Thanks for the reply George! By paint pail, do you mean the 1 gallon cans that you buy paint in?
      Toby

Comment

No, these are smooth bottomed, smallish 3 or 4 quart plastic buckets that you can pick up at Home Depot for like 2 bucks.
        George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Originally posted by fxpose View Post
          No, these are smooth bottomed, smallish 3 or 4 quart plastic buckets that you can pick up at Home Depot for like 2 bucks.
          Awesome, thanks!
          Toby

Comment

Working...
          X