Peel Finish ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peel Finish ?

What do you all recommend for a finish for our newly completed peels? They are 100% maple.

I looked at older peel posts and they suggest dainish, lineseed, or mineral oil.

Re: Peel Finish ?

I would suggest 400 or 600 grit sandpaper. And nothing more.

Comment

Very nice peels!! What kind of wood did you use?

I second texas - and add a little charing. I'm not sure the oil does much for you. Mine get a little splash of EVO around the edges occasionally and it does not seem to have helped or hurt them.

None of my peels have any finish - they have short handles are used for prepping, loading and transport (to and from the oven) and are stored inside. Their time inside the oven is very short.

In terms of care, after each night or day of pizzas. I wash and rinse them quickly (with scotch brite sponge - never soaking) and dry them quickly. They are getting a nice patina to them and any sauce seems to leave a minimum of discoloration after the wash. Eventually, I thought I'd need to sand them - but so far the grain seems to be stable.

Now the long handles on my metal peels are looking pretty shabby - I wished I'd put some mineral oil on those.... I keep forgettting to bring those things inside and they have weathered.

Christo
      Last edited by christo; 05-27-2010, 04:22 AM.
      My oven progress -
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
      sigpic

Comment

I rarely get anything on my peel other than soot on the bottom from charred semolina (and by using only one side of the peel I don't worry about that much.) I only scrape my peel with a spatula or the back of a knife. Wetting the wood - even briefly - raises the grain and I want it as smooth as possible to facilitate releasing the dough.

I don't trust finishes for either maintaining integrity (not charring) or releasing dough well.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, We will sand them smooth and call it good. They are from maple, my son made them in high school wood shop.

Derk

Comment

Hi Derk!

Your initial message implied they were "homemade" but they look fully professional. Kudos to your son!

You didn't ask this but it might be useful. My personal approach is that I use the wood peels to hold the pies while being topped. (I sprinkle semolina to aid in preventing sticking). I then use one of the round metal peels to move the pizza in the oven (and often to remove it to the aluminum pizza plates we use). I use an aluminum peel to remove the pies. I like the thinner edge for getting under the pizza (having once failed to do so and shoving the entire pie into the fire and ashes!).

Give your son my compliments!
            Jay

Comment

Those a nice looking, probably a lot cheaper to make than buying one on the internet
              Toby

Columbus, NE

Comment

Working...
              X