what to do with left over vermicrete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to do with left over vermicrete

After casting my floor I had left over vermicrete which I put in a mold ... ok.. a cookie tin , about 8x8x3 inches If I had made a mold I would have taken it out , but as it was I had to cut open the tin to get out the block of vermicrete.
    I use the block as a heat shield for when I am roasting coffee .. Then I use it to block off some air coming in when I have a very small fire . it also come in handy to put hot pyrex ware on to avoid a thermal shock ... and you were just going to throw it away!

tim

Re: what to do with left over vermicrete

Any thoughts on what do with leftover firebricks?

Comment

After looking at you heat shield the first thing that came to mind way why not incorporate the leftover vermicrete to make a door? What I was thinking is to fab a mold and make a heat shield with your vermicrete about 2-3" thick that would fit the inside dimensions of your opening. Then somehow adhere this to the face of a wooden door that fits against the reviel.
      Any thoughts on this? Or am I crazy.

Comment

That is pretty much what I did and my door is holding up fine. I used perlcrete, but vermcrete should work as well.

I used a 5-1 mixture. Cut a piece of left over Durock. Formed it up to make a plug and put 3 course wood screws thru it to help hold the perlcrete and poured it. Let dry for a few days and then baked it out slowly in my house oven to dry. Wrapped the whole thing in heavy gauge aluminum foil and then screwed my wood facing and handles. The first 2 firings I measured it many times with the IR gun and no heat to speak of getting to the wood. The best thing is looks good and cost me less than $5.

I posted pics on my oven thread and another door thread.
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/an...en-1199-5.html
        Last edited by wlively; 06-21-2010, 08:35 AM.
        Wade Lively

Comment

Working...
        X