Sliding the peel off the pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sliding the peel off the pizza

This is probably known to all experienced forum members, but I had to learn it the hard way and maybe some other beginners may learn from it. When you read about "sliding the pizza off the peel" you may get the wrong idea. An accellerating (or de-accellerating) pizza is almost bound to be a looser. The right idea is to pull the peel off the pizza trying to leave the pizza without moving it at all. Once you got that idea right things get much easier!

regards from Karl

Re: Sliding the peel off the pizza

Ease the pizza forward on the peel so that about an inch or two overhangs the end. Then, when you put it in the oven, this part "grabs" the floor and you slide the peel out from under.

Comment

Neil2,
      HOPEFULLY!!!!
      I have experienced this problem and now have reverted to assembling the pizza on an aluminium tray and placing it in the oven, when ready to turn, I slide the peel under the base and remove the tray. The base is much firmer and much less problems and leave until the base has 'leoparised'. The first pizza normally goes into a 500˚C+ hearth and would burn on such temperatures even in a minute.

Cheers.

Neill
      Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
      Neill’s kitchen underway
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

I used to use parchment paper when I had trouble landing the pie onto the stone in my grill. I would then yank the paper out from underneath the pie about a couple of minutes into the cook.

George
        George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

I have gone to the pizza pan, removing it at the first turn. That way, I can make 2 or 3 pies ahead and crank them out quickly. Plus the wife thinks ash is icky and it doesn't stick once the crust starts browning.

Comment

I find the only time the pizza sticks to the peel is when I stretch the dough too thin (which funny enough took me long enough to work out) and also when I dunk the dough ball in flour before I stretch it, this give the base some movement on the peel when I go to slide it into the oven.

Comment

Originally posted by fxpose View Post
              I used to use parchment paper when I had trouble landing the pie onto the stone in my grill.
              I have tried this as well, but unfortunately, the high temperature in a pizza oven pretty much incinerates the paper in very little time and what's left stays stuck to the crust...

In my (very limited) experience, the longer the pizza stays on the peel, the most likely it is to stick to the peel. I prepare the pizza on the counter and transfer it to a flour coated peel at the last minute. I will try the overhang technique next time. Peel and Pray!

Comment

I've become a big fan of using rice flour on the peel. It does not seem to absorb water as much as regular flour does so you can use less of it, keep the pizza on the peel longer, and it does not seem to build up on the dough and affect the texture. It still is not perfect but I've had many fewer stuck pizzas since I started using it.
                Pizza Oven Picture Gallery
                http://picasaweb.google.com/toddfas/PizzaOvenProject

Comment

I have a cheese shaker of rice flour I was using before I went to the pans, it worked well.

Comment

Semolina (durum) is a very good alternative to rice flour on the peel.

karl

Comment

I was in France last week and went to a small town WFO restaurant for takeout one night. When I discussed my oven with the owner, he went away and brought me back a big tub of ground olive pits, which he uses to prevent sticking. My oven is still in progress (getting to insulating the hearth) so I haven't tried them yet, but his pizza was pretty good!

Comment

The best thing to do is make or buy a hardwood peel like the one Grimaldi made. The peels that they use in Naples are all hardwood thats why they come off so easy with basically no flour.

Comment

I made myself a wooden peel after really struggling with a steel one I bought bit of semolina now everythings ok

Comment

I prepare my crust on the counter then transfer it to a wood peel that has a light sprinkling of corn meal. I use the shake method to slide the pizza off the peel. I don't notice the tase of the corn meal and have had good results.
                            My WFO project: http://picasaweb.google.com/stevprin/WFOSmallPhotos#

Comment

Yep, a hardwood peel makes all the difference. Last night I made thin crust pizzas (fairly well loaded with toppings also) right on the peel... they slid off and into the oven without a hitch (it was a thing of beauty).

Comment

Working...
                              X