Fatal insulation error---I Fear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fatal insulation error---I Fear.

My dome/vault area is made of 4 1/2 inch firebrick, back wall also 4 1/2 inch, floor 4 1/2 inch. I applied about 3/4 inch of mortar over the vault to lock it all together.

My concern is that I have just finished my house enclosure, 2 X 4 walls, and there is only about 4 inches between the outer oven surface and the closest 2X4 edge. I plan on filling the total area, wall cavity and 4 inch space with perlite.

I have a thermocouple on the top, back wall, and under the floor. I am going to get a hot fire going before I do the roof and see what happens.

Will the 2X4s burn?

Re: Fatal insulation error---I Fear.

I have 2" of cerra-blanket over my dome and the hottest it's ever gotten on the outside is 100-degrees-F; but then my dome is not enclosed. You might want to consider metal studs for the roof -- I know of one oven who's wood roof burned off, now it's got a steel one. Good luck!

Comment

The closest the 2X4 roof will get to the oven roof is 6 inches up to about 12 inches away.

Tomorrow will be the big burn and we will see hot hot it gets.

Thanks

Comment

The ignition temperature of wood is pretty high (500F+), I do not think you will have a problem. As an example, fireplace clearances are usually 4" on the sides, and that is for exposed flame.

Comment

Thanks Tom,

I was hoping that I would not have to track down some insulating blanket or something. There will be quite a bit of perlite on the sides and top. I remember seeing your photo and the big amount that you needed. The space does not look that big until you start to fill it.

Thanks

Comment

I would suggest using steel 2x4s. And sheathing it with hardiplank or equivalent. That way you have no concerns. (NOTE: I don't think it is likely to be a problem but...
            Jay

Comment

I have a piece of hardibacker left over from a tile job and I think that I will put pieces of it in between the 2X4 edge and layers of perlite. I found perlite for $8.60 per 4 cu/ft so I am going to lay it on heavy.

Comment

Working...
              X