I need serious gloves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need serious gloves

I bought a cheap pair of welder's gloves from Harbor Freight to protect my hands from the intense heat of our cob oven. They didn't impress me -- I had to use regular kitchen hot pads plus the gloves to extract a small dutch oven.

Today one of the gloves actually caught fire and was ruined. I'd left it on top of the oven, which hasn't entirely cured. The final insulation layer of sawdust and clay was smoldering around a deep crack. I'd laid the glove over this crack, not realizing how hot it was getting.

Anyway... can anyone suggest a source of insulated fingered gloves that offer serious protection?

thanks,
    Carl

Re: I need serious gloves

Try a GOOD pair of welding gloves... I have a heavy leather pair with padded palms that can hold the hottest of steel when using my forge or welding...
    CB

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...-us-13256.html

Comment

CB,

What do you think of these?

Amazon.com: Memphis 4600 Blue Beast Premium Select Side Leather Welding Glove with Reinforced Palm, Wing Thumb, Full…

What bothers me about this particular glove is the low price -- I've paid more than this for good leather work gloves.

Comment

I bought these from a professional chef's shop in Paris - I can't remember how much they were but they were pretty cheap and are superb! They are a bit bulky, but they're about 45cm long and come right up to my elbow - great for that pizza at the back of the oven! They are made by SCHNEIDER and have 450C stamped on them - the serial no. is 310025

Click image for larger version

Name:	gloves.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	282433
        My rustic oven;
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...oven-6770.html
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PerryPizza View Post
          I bought these from a professional chef's shop in Paris - I can't remember how much they were but they were pretty cheap and are superb! They are a bit bulky, but they're about 45cm long and come right up to my elbow - great for that pizza at the back of the oven! They are made by SCHNEIDER and have 450C stamped on them - the serial no. is 310025

[ATTACH]20797[/ATTACH]
          looks nice. high quality with low price?
          Nice power drill
          Wood working tool
          Grinder

Comment

i live in the bay area and there are several welding supply stores. They seem to have a good selection of heavy duty high temp gloves.

I'm using some gloves that came with the welder I purchased and they work great. They are good enough to arrange logs in a fire engulfed oven.
            Last edited by michelevit; 08-16-2010, 07:21 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by benny361 View Post
              looks nice. high quality with low price?
              It does still exist!... it's very rare to find a bargain in France these days but I think it must have something to do with the amount of bakers in the country.

Here's a good place for catering gloves;

Oven Mitts (Page 3)
              My rustic oven;
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...oven-6770.html
              sigpic

Comment

You might try a safety supply outfit. I have a pair of Kevlar gloves that are rated up to 1500 degrees F. They are a little more expensive than oven mitts but I still have the hair on my knuckles

I found some here

ironCLaD Heatworx? Gloves - Lab Safety Supply
                Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

I bought a pair of aluminized kevlar gloves from a welding supply shop. They are for handling molten glass, but I use them for BBQ, when I need to reach into my smoker, or when I will have my arm over the fire for an extended period of time. I can move a flaming piece of charcoal no worries. Don't let them get wet. y bad for leaving them in the bbq when it rained. They are expensive, but worth it.

Comment

Hi,
                    I'm looking for some very heat-resistant oven mitts that can handle hot cast iron, which I cook with often. Ideally I'd like long mitts to protect my arms, but not so large that a small-handed roommate can't use them. I've never been that satisfied with any oven mitts I've purchased in the past.

Cheers !
                    Online pharmacy

Comment

Actually, I bought the gloves from the FB store, and I find them excellent. I've had no problems.
                      Ernie

Ducane 5 Burner Stainless / 34 Inch WFO

Comment

Working...
                      X