Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap Plush Soft Low Profile ~16" Oven Brush?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Plush Soft Low Profile ~16" Oven Brush?

I need an oven brush to clean a soapstone hearth. It needs to be soft so that it doesn't scratch the soapstone. I'm also looking for something plush so that it picks up every last speck of ash quickly and easily. My vertical space is 4" so it needs to be low profile. Lastly, it's got to be cheap. Less than $20 cheap.

I'm attaching of photo of a brush that's close to what I want. The bristles appear to be soft, thick and plush, the profile is perfect, it costs $7 on ebay, but... the entire brush is 9" and the bristles are 4". 4" isn't going to work. I need basically double this.

Re: Cheap Plush Soft Low Profile ~16" Oven Brush?

They will probably burn and your brush will last only a couple of times. Because soapstone is so soft (the softest rock) any metal brush will easily abrade it. Why not try the blowing through a pipe trick. That's all I use and it also doubles as a blow pipe to get a flame going if you throw on some wood and it starts to smoke up the neighbourhood. Remeber to blow not suck. You need a length about equal to your oven diameter and about 1/2" pipe diam. copper pipe works well, but be careful you don't crack a front tooth. Stick a rubber end on it to prevent this. I find it an indispensable tool.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I just use an oven rake to push the coals to the back or side of the oven then quickly wet mop. Gets it super clean every time! The mop is a cheapo I found at the grocery that has a built in twist head to wring it out...

A pic of the rake I use is in the DIY tools thread.
      CB

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...-us-13256.html

Comment

I use the blowpipe - works great. As has been mentioned, never suck unless you want charred lungs.

I also use a brush with brass bristles for any heavier deposits - follow that up with a quick blast from the blow pipe and it's ready.

Comment

Working...
        X