Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Tile Experiment.

Hello all.

I thought I would post this here. I haven't visited in so long, I am sure none of you remember me, but, here goes anyway:

To the left and right of my oven, I poured some concrete counters. I have been wanting to make a nicer surface, and when I saw some marble tile on sale, I decided I would try it out -- as an experiment.

In my infinite non- wisdom, my counters do not drain much. Pretty level. Marble is not recommended for areas with hard winter, so... I almost decided NOT to try this.

Then, I thought, heck, for $40 worth of tile, and a little time, I would do a bit of an experiment. Will it fail? How badly will it fail? Will it be acceptable degree of effort to maintain it? So, today I grouted in the tile AROUND the marble tile, and we'll see.

Now, let's see if I can remember how to post a photo here.

Also, just so I can be as lazy as I like, I decided NOT to do any heroic efforts of covering, or sealing this tile. If it, somehow, manages to stay attached through a couple of winters, I will be satisfied that I can use this surface on other walls, etc.

Lars.
    This may not be my last wood oven...

Re: The Great Tile Experiment.

Just my 2c...... Sealing the tiles and everything around might help. If water can't get behind or in the tile it can't freeze. Marble is a porus stone and sealing it will help keeping stains from spills out of it.
    Last edited by Ilfornaio; 08-28-2010, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Even though marble is not recommended. Your experiment looks nice. Did you ever tested it?
      Hamilton Builders

Comment

Of course we remember you Lars, your the guy who cut all his bricks with a chisel. Very nice job. The marble will probably be fine.
        Eric

Comment

Looks very nice! I like your door too. Is it insulated, or just plain wood? Do you have some other pictures of it in another thread? I need to make something similar.
          Picasa web album
          Oven-building thread

Comment

It does look nice. I like all the covered space you created on both sides. Instead of thinking it through, I left a single opening in front with no easy way to access the back. Way off subject, but has anyone found a good way to use the back, difficult to reach area with a single opening?

Comment

Hi all,
              First of all, good point about stains, though, I really don't care that much. Unless I were to be totally vigilant, the leaves and dirt will stain it almost constantly. There is a nice natural pattern to the marble, so...

Secondly, Iconic. No. I have not tested it. I just laid it a couple days ago. I will let you know in a year or so what happened after the winter.

Eric. Eric. Thanks for remembering me, though, I have to say...California. You can do this sort of thing out there with your hip, free-and-easy, anything goes, no-freeze climate.

DBhanson, I made two doors. An inner door, just out of 2x6 dimension lumber with a galvanized sheet metal on the inside and wrapped around the edges. That being said, it works fine for baking, but it has caught fire and so there is a bit of a breach in one of the cracks.

Finally, Bruce. I am still wondering how to make use of the area below the oven. I had no choice, really, it backs into the hill. I like the storage areas to the left and right, but what I really want is a higher vertical area to hang utensils ( peel, brush, etc. ) I may make some hooks or shelves that make it easier to use this space horizontally.

I made the covered area to the right about the right depth for wood, and it works great. The left side, I made deeper. I want to make a door that will be vermin proof. ( bugs, mice, rabbits, frogs, spiders, snakes... lots of fun friends out in the countryside)

L.

ps. Yes, I cut all the tile by hand, but the marble I broke down and did cut 6 pieces to 12" x 10" because I really liked the look -- with an electric saw. You know, if this works, I may just get myself that wet saw. Marble tile. Very easy. Did I mention it was $1.79/sq. ft?
              This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

I wanted to tile my concrete counter with 12" granite tiles (that I already bought) but had a similar concern that thin granite is not recommended outside.

What sort of weather-proof grout did you use? I believe any portland based grout is good, meaning anything you buy dry, not in a tub, that's what they told me at Home Depot (while at the same time telling me to not put conventional 1/2" 12" granite outside in the first place).

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
                Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

Working...
                X