Insulation questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulation questions

I'm trying to head the advice here and take my insulation seriously.

I'm curious if there is a sticky that explains the relative R-values of the most commonly used insulation?

Also, the blankets I've seen are often covered with a concrete cladding. Doesn't compressing the air space with this heavy layer of concrete destroy some/much of it's insulating value?

Is the concrete cladding insulative? Or does it serve more as a heat sink? I ask because I noticed the old style was to put the insulative floor below the structural floor, and that has been reversed now.

I'm wondering if putting the fire board insulation on the inside of the brick walls between the loose vermiculite the wall would help anything, relative to the cost of doing so.

Thanks again to everyone here willing to share their knowledge and experience!

Re: Insulation questions

Forgot - I see in some of the builds people are using a foil between the brick and cladding. Does this serve any actual purpose?

Comment

Re: Insulation questions

people are using a foil between the brick and cladding. Does this serve any actual purpose?
      No. It's useless. Don't do it.
      is a sticky that explains the relative R-values of the most commonly used insulation?
      No. Google is your friend in this sort of question:
      Google
      Also, the blankets I've seen are often covered with a concrete cladding. Doesn't compressing the air space with this heavy layer of concrete destroy some/much of it's insulating value?
      The refractory insulation blanket is much denser and heavier than the home insulation you may be used to. It shouldn't compress much. You can also build an armature and stucco on top of that, if it's a concern.
      Is the concrete cladding insulative? Or does it serve more as a heat sink?
      Neither. It shouldn't get hot at all once your oven dries out. It's meant to keep your oven and insulation dry. Wet insulation is useless insulation. It's actual usefulness in this regard is debatable (google "brick oven stucco" or "render" for a thousand debates on this topic). It also encapsulates the insulation fibers which you don't want to be breathing.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
      X