extra bricks keep pizza edge from burning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• extra bricks keep pizza edge from burning

Just a tip here. We were having trouble with the edge of our pizzas getting too done before everything else. constant turning was necessary to turn out a good looking pie. Radiant heat, directly from the fire to the pizza was the problem. We put 4 extra firebricks, on edge to "corral" the fire, and obstruct the direct radiant heat. Now the heat goes up and accross the oven ceiling, radiating down, cooking the pizza more evenly with less turning and burning. The bottom crust gets more done as well.

Re: extra bricks keep pizza edge from burning

Thanks for that tip. I've run into that problem too and I would imagine this happens more frequently in smallish ovens where pizza is placed very close to the coals.
    George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

I have seen a metal divider used in Italy, even a short section of Rail Road track.
      I came across commercially manufactured metal ones for sale on a web site.
      I would like to know what this divider/separator is called.
      I've Googled wood, brick ovens with fire walls, ash guards, log holders, etc.

Thanks for any help
      Carl
      Enjoy life! It's limited, you only get as much as you take.

Comment

Originally posted by Optionparty View Post
        I have seen a metal divider used in Italy, even a short section of Rail Road track.
        I came across commercially manufactured metal ones for sale on a web site.
        I would like to know what this divider/separator is called.
        I've Googled wood, brick ovens with fire walls, ash guards, log holders, etc.
        You can get a 2 or 3 foot length of flat steel bar stock at Home Depot and make a couple of bends in it so it'll stand upright. That should work equally as well.
        George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

I use a similar set up. A 1" piece of flat bar bent into the shape of a D. The curved side sitsvagainst the bottom of the oven. It also helps to remove about half the coals, if your oven is small and this will give you more room for cooking. The steel D with fire contained can be easily moved to the other side giving you a new hot floor area.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Fourlix View Post
            Just a tip here. We were having trouble with the edge of our pizzas getting too done before everything else. constant turning was necessary to turn out a good looking pie. Radiant heat, directly from the fire to the pizza was the problem. We put 4 extra firebricks, on edge to "corral" the fire, and obstruct the direct radiant heat. Now the heat goes up and accross the oven ceiling, radiating down, cooking the pizza more evenly with less turning and burning. The bottom crust gets more done as well.
            Aaa all have to try that so it won't happen agian....thanks....gorpoo

Comment

Working...
            X