Exposed Isulation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exposed Isulation?

I have a gap of about 11/4" between my brick arch and the entrance to the stove (Casa2G110 from FB). I understand I need this to allow the stove to expand without breaking. But, the gap is filled with insulation blanket, which looks a little funny and exposes the insulation. Can the gap be covered with something? My brick layer says mortar would be stronger than the stove casting, so if the casting expands, the stove might break. Any suggestions?

Re: Exposed Isulation?

See the attached photo of the exposed insulation between the oven casting and the brick. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Karl

Comment

High temp Silicone will work nicely.

Comment

How about a long single band of flat steel bar stock (or aluminum?) bent to shape? The spring action of the bar should hold itself there securely within the arch with enough room for expansion and heat transfer should minimal or insignificant.
        Last edited by fxpose; 10-18-2010, 10:56 AM.
        George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Thanks! You wouldn't have any brand recommendations for the silicone, would you?

Karl
          Last edited by kmrice; 10-18-2010, 10:20 AM. Reason: Clarify which answer I was responding to.

Comment

Any thoughts on whether the gap could just be filled in with mortar? My bricklayer is concerned that the gap might be too wide for silicone.

Karl

Comment

Depending on the thickness, mortar there will most likely just crack and pieces might fall on the landing area.
              George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Thanks. I'm not too concerned about mortar cracking - what worries me is the mortar not cracking and the casting the oven is made out of, or the brick, cracking. Any thoughts on whether that is likely?

Karl

Comment

Hello kmrice,

Hmmmmmmm...... I'd take the practical approach. If my shirt became "untucked', I'd just tuck it back in. Push the insulation back and fill the area with brick slices and mortar. You will want to create a thermal break so the oven and arch don't contact. I'm not seeing a fatal flaw here, though there may be one unseen. It appears the insulation blanket simply got into a place where it could get exposed.

In examining the matter further, the gap/insulation became obvious due to a construction anomaly. The cosmetic fix above may suffice for a long time.

Cheers,
                  Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

A brass strip might make a good transition: you could attach it with the high-temp silicone so you wouldn't have to mess with masonry anchors. It would nicely brown up with exposure to heat.
                    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
                    X