Closing the top- Cheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closing the top- Cheating

I was getting tired and increasingly frustrated trying to get the bricks cut correctly as I closed in on the top. As the opening gets smaller, it required more patience that I didn't have in the first place (I know, why start a project that requires patience?).

Anyway, I had about a 12" opening and decided to form up a cap and pour some refractory on the top. It's actually a pretty good idea because it truly forms to the opening. And since most commercial ovens use refractory, it puts the good stuff right at the top where it's needed most.

I just plugged the bottom with a plywood disk, packed some sand on top to continue the curvature of the existing bricks, and poured away.

Anyway, take a look and hope it helps or inspires. Or at least makes you feel better about going bricks all the way up!
    Last edited by Rickbaro; 10-17-2010, 12:45 PM.

Re: Closing the top- Cheating

Ive been bricklaying for the better part of 40 years and seriously haven't got the patience to do what most guys on here do with all their cuts in the roof
    I did a refractory concrete dome as it was quicker, and besides, who is going to look?
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Re: Closing the top- Cheating

Interestingly, you could've used the plywood 'round' to support that layer, then as you get smaller, just cut the 'round' smaller each time and use it for support. Still looks good. I have a feeling that by that point I may just wanna get done too.
      My oven (for now):
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Working...
      X