Weather Exposed Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weather Exposed Oven

Hi all, Finally managed to get 2 coats of Silasec mixture on my oven dome as recommended by other members. We have had alot of rain here in Melbourne and I'm starting to get a little worried. I've noticed some damp spots on the first course of bricks of the dome. All other areas seem OK. Will I need to re cure? Any advice from member who have their ovens out in the open exposed to the weather will be greatly appriciated. I have attached a photo of my finished oven together with my pride and joy.

Re: Weather Exposed Oven

I know you don't want to hear it, but the problem with that design is that there is allowance for moisture that enter,s and thus no plan for it to exit. Unless your seal is perfect, you will get water into the insulation, and the only way to remove it (not that it is a major problem to do so), is to heat it out.

Your seal is not perfect, nor will it ever be with that particular design. Just burn fires and don't worry about it.

Sweet ride and oven, BTW.

Comment

Wow..what a beautiful oven. Can see why your concerned. Tscar is correct. Your design will never be waterproof. Without a waterproof enclosure it will always absorb moisture. This situation has been discussed previously and I don't remember any true waterproofing for the dome itself. It's not the end of the world, I would dry it out with a few small fires to dry it out before you go big. Maybe you will have to build an outdoor kitchen...haha
      Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

What is the problem with the design? I have a dome (very similar) sitting out in the elements and I have not noticed a problem. Where are the damp spots? Could it be caused by driving rain into the front of the oven?

Les...
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Here in Melbourne we are just recovering from a 12 year drought, the rain in the last 2 weeks has more than made up for the past 12 years.

Once summer hits, if it ever does, you wont notice the damp spots.

Silasec is designed to be added to your concrete/mortar at mixing stage, not painted on later.
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who replied, I did use Silasec as per the instructions. I mixed it with cement and bondcrete then painted the mixture on. I do agree that we have had many years of rain here in Melbourne in such a short time.
            I have put a plastic cover on it for this week as we are expecting more rain. If anyone out there has any more suggestions, please keep them coming. Thanks again.

Comment

It is not a design flaw, just a design weakness. At the points marked it is almost impossible to maintain a watertight joint.

Comment

Working...
              X