Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many blades did you use constructing your WFO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many blades did you use constructing your WFO?

Brand names and descriptions please? How many cuts per blade?

The good friend who referred me to this site used 6 or 7 blades....Is that unusual? He had the higher grade bricks apparantly.
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Re: How many blades did you use constructing your WFO?

I went through 2 harbor freight blades. When I started cutting my pavers, my neighbor (who is a mason) gave me a quality blade. If it wasn't for that, I would have gone through 4 more. The firebrick is soft.

Les...
    Last edited by Les; 12-11-2010, 08:57 AM.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Hello Lburou,

The original blade on my 10" Harbor Freight wet saw is just now getting broke-in. I've cut an estimated 160 firebricks in half and about 30 additional at various angles (trimming to fit). Also, 20 or more long cuts in ceramic tile for the landing area of my oven, with the same blade. I have many years as a lapidairist using diamond tool equipment including gemstone saws and slab saws. My best advice is to use plenty of lube, in our case water, and don't push the work piece too hard against the blade. Let the blade do the cutting. It will "tell" you how hard to push by the way it cuts. After some experience is gained, you'll know when the blade is worn out since it won't be up to its usual performance. You can make a diamond blade cut a little faster by horsing a brick through it but you'll end up buying blades much faster than normal. I am very pleased with the HF saw and 10" blade which, by the way, I bought off their rack since the saw came without one.

Cheers,
      Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

everything azpizzanut said except I have never been a lapidairist, just years and years of experience with a wet saw. The $29 HF blade is perfectly fine if you treat the saw and blade properly.
        I finally broke down and replaced my HF blade after 3yrs of nearly continuous use (oven, 2 kitchen & 4 bathroom remodels (porcelain tile, ceramic tile, granite tile; as well as over 40 marble window sills). Honestly, the blade was only about 1/2 worn and the $79 replacement I bought at lowes does not cut any smoother or faster.

The key is to NOT overheat the diamond chips and the bonding agent. If you force the cuts and overheat the blade repeatedly, it won't matter what brand or how much you spent, you will trash the blade.

RT

Comment

As with RT's experience, buy quality and you get what you pay for.
          I purchased a 15" commercial brick blade from a seller on ebay and it is still 2/3 it's original thickness and my 9" angle grinder bade is still going 3 years later and a huge amount of brick, concrete tile and even reinforcing rod cutting
          I also have a thin diamond tile blade that simply will not wear out even after several bathroom and 3 kitchen renovations.

Neill
          Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
          Neill’s kitchen underway
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

After my first HF blade that I bought with the saw (no, they are never included) I bought three similarly priced ten inch blades from the tile department at HD. That said, I build a fireplace as well as a two story chimney in my oven project.

These bargain saw blades are not what you may expect if you've had some experience with industrial abrasives. That rough rim is not a layer of sintered diamond that will cut until it gets down to the steel rim. The diamonds are all pretty much near the surface, and will wear out pretty fast. Keep in mind, these are thirty dollar items, not the hundreds of dollars that the sintered blades cost.

Even a cheap blade will last a long time if you keep it sopping wet, and don't force the cuts.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks all

You are encouraging. I have a tile saw used for my bathroom remodels. I replaced the blade only to discover the old one was cutting just fine. I'll increase the water flow to be sure and baby the blade and not ask too much from it by way of speed.

I have purchased some used fire brick from a man who dismantled a large brick baking kiln here in Texas. These brick seem harder than the ones used in my fire pit so I expect they may be a higher grade brick and will be harder to cut.

With this encouragement, I may build the Pompeii oven instead of the barrel oven I had planned.....Still on the fence.

Lee B.
              DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

I used just one 10" segmented blade with plenty of water from a spray bottle on my very old Makita compound miter saw. Half cuts and tapers only for my 34" oven.
                I also used one 4.5" segmented blade on an angle grinder for additional grinding here and there. Now that tool came in real handy for making fine adjustments at the dome, instead of running back and forth to the main saw.
                George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Diamond blades glaze up when cutting hard vitrified bricks, you will see this as blobs of molten brick being shot out of the cut.
                  You can revive the blade by running it through some waste concrete or mortar for a few seconds, this will de-glaze the blade.
                  The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                    Diamond blades glaze up when cutting hard vitrified bricks, you will see this as blobs of molten brick being shot out of the cut.
                    You can revive the blade by running it through some waste concrete or mortar for a few seconds, this will de-glaze the blade.

This sounds like a trade secret to me!!
                    Last edited by Lburou; 12-11-2010, 04:17 PM.
                    Lee B.
                    DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

10% of one 14" Target blade.

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou View Post

This sounds like a trade secret to me!!
                        Ill have to kill you all now......
                        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Not a trade secret. Diamond blades are not sharp or dull, they work by exposing diamonds to the cutting surface. Different type blades use different type matrices to hold the diamond. Blades made for cutting soft (abrasive) materials will have hard matrix, ones for hard materials (non-abrasive) will have a soft matrix. By "sharpening", using the opposite of what the blade is made for, you are exposing more diamonds.

Comment

I cut all my oven bricks with one high-end blade from Home Depot. Can't remember the brand name... One of the house brands they sell.
                            Ken H. - Kentucky
                            42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                            Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I've had a DEWALT DIAMOND MASONRY on an old spare 7 1/4" circular saw for the past couple of years now. I cut all kinds of stuff with it (brick, block, Hardibacker, concrete). The blade was about $15 and I know that I have MORE than gotten my money out if it... I just finished my first oven and cut ALL the block and brick for it...

Comment

Working...
                              X