Dome Building Tools ???????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dome Building Tools ???????

I have finally come to the point where I am ready to start laying the first corse, however this means I have to choose between a center and an off set tool / gauge.... can anyone help as to what direction is better or any pro's and cons for either.

I have never build a dome and are still trying to get my head around what they do and how they work, how long do you leave the tool holding the new brick you for minutes or hours????
    Cheers

Kris

Re: Dome Building Tools ???????

Can't speak to the offset tool. The tool I built ( http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...heme-2985.html ) is a simple pivot aligning the center of the floor with the center of each brick placed. Very simple with no additional adjustment needed to the guage itself to complete the dome.

This tool (when created according to the drawings I provided) will build a dome that is as tall as its radius (+1/4" for the base). So a 42 inch oven will have a ceiling height of 21.25".

If you trust the tool it becomes tough to screw up the dome. As long as you place the brick properly in the clamp, the gauge makes certain that the face and the slope of the brick are perfectly placed to the floor center. Like you I had zero experience with masonary work prior to this project and would have not made it through if not for this tool.

You can see the results from the outside in the attached photo and from the inside by following this link (http://www.jcgleim.com/OvenCamHiRes.html).

Regarding how long the brick needs to stay in the guage, it will depend on the mortar mixture you are using. I ordered Refrax from James and mixed according to instructions. I was building during the late fall and winter months (Wisconsin) inside a "heated" tent so bricks were placed in 55-40 degree temperatures. All that in play, the bricks were placed and ready to be released from the clamp by the time I had cleaned up (sponge) the excess mortar from the earlier placement, plopped down and spread the next blob of mortar and pulled the next brick out of the water. There was absolutely no delay in waiting for the earlier brick to be set.

Have fun.

Jim
    Last edited by jcg31; 12-12-2010, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X