X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• redbricknick
    replied
    Tool.

Pretty much every time I work on the oven, I listen to Tool.

Leave a comment:

• Fio
    replied
    Originally posted by CanuckJim
    Carioca,

My father, a shipwright, taught me two things, early, before he died, early: never buy cheap tools, and you never have enough. I'm with you.

Jim
    The pain of owning a cheap tool lasts longer than the joy of having saved money on it.

Leave a comment:

• CanuckJim
    replied
    Tools

Carioca,

My father, a shipwright, taught me two things, early, before he died, early: never buy cheap tools, and you never have enough. I'm with you.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• carioca
    started a topic Tools section, anyone?

Tools section, anyone?

Hi all!
    I noticed a lot of discussions in various threads relate to TOOLS. Might it be an idea to start a section devoted to all things tool-ish?

To start, here's my take on the question of how to buy tools. I buy tools in two ways: either for a specific job, or on spec. for future use.

Using both ways, I've accumulated a huge amount of simple (including an English scythe) to complex tools, such as the Makita rotary hammer I bought for $450 some years ago for the sole purpose of drilling clean holes into Hebel expanded concrete blocks without shattering them, in order to fix stainless steel screws imported from Germany with their special plastic anchors. It may have been overkill, but it made the job of building a 56 sq m shed a breeze... (In fact I mainly built the shed to house all my tools :-)

Living on a largish (53 acre) block in the coastal bush, I find tools are a man's best friend, and not something to be bought cheap and discarded after a few frustrating hours or days. My 'collection' contains tools for all kinds of work, plumbing, telephony and networking, electrical work, car repairs and so on. Many measuring instruments of all sorts are on hand...

When we bought the block some 33 years ago, one of my first purchases was a little second-hand Leyland tractor and a Teagle concrete mixer hanging off, and powered by, said tractor. More than a generation later, both are still working - and used frequently!

O.K., so maybe I don't really need that Krone tool for terminating phone lines on the MDF (main distribution frame). But it is a reassuring feeling that if the need ever arises, that's another thing I'm prepared for!

Cheers from an old tool freak!

Carioca
Working...
X