3d printing and the perfect cut for firebrick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3d printing and the perfect cut for firebrick

New York Times has an article today, one of many recently, showing the decreasing cost of 3d printing. I believe that a number of members here, including PizzaBob, use a program called Solidworks, which I am sure can be ported directly to a 3d printer. This could mean that someone more enterprising than me, could print out the equivalent of a perfectly cut 3d version of one brick for each course, so that a newbie could purchase a set, hopefully at a relatively inexpensive price, of actual size replicas of the firebricks to use as a guide for cutting. I had a devil of a time getting the angle, bevel and slope correct. Thanks to JCG31 for his chart. If I had had a 3d guide, it would have made my cuts alot easier.

Re: 3d printing and the perfect cut for firebrick

The hard part about making a uniform prototypical brick for each course, is staggering the vertical joints and the entry arch to dome transition bricks. Mortar joints aren’t ever the same, so building using a single sized brick and using mortar placed by hand isn’t, in my opinion, impossible but it wouldn't have any beinfit to the performance of the oven. I have a sketch of a wire diamond saw tool that might allow an oven to be built without mortar, but I know there would still be some gaps. If an oven were built this way it would have to be wrapped with something. After all of the fun fanaticizing, it would be easier to cast an oven or the building blocks to build an oven.

C

Comment

It wouldnt be that hard to work out with a string line.

Here is how to set out a Bulls Eye, basically two arches one on top of the other.

The same principal would be used to set out a dome you would just set out 1 course at a time.
      Once 1 brick is marked the rest should be the same, just allow for mortar joints if any.

The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Like all other printers, its the ink that gets you. I had a team doing 3d printing for me - the cost had dropped dramatically - instead of $300K, the printer would be about $75 K (this was 3 years ago). However the plastic "ink" was about $600/gal! The parts were built using a table that moved up and down 1 layer at a time and the technology is really similar to ink jet printing.

The prototypes made were incredible because you could hook up a new manifold to the fighter jet engine usually the next day after the print job was started to see if there was proper clearances or if other issues came up.
        Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

The devil is in the details. The available money or time or desire or whatever else will define your build. If you want to create an oven without grout and perfect fitting bricks, it can be done given the time and money. The quality of the food coming out of this oven will only be as good as the cook and the ingredients.

C

Comment

Working...
          X