help to find old post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help to find old post

I think about as year back or so there was a post showing a drawing of the angle of cross cut on a standard firebrick for igloo dome construction.
    If I remember right the brick was not cut on a 90 cross cut as normal for cutting your bricks in half. I don't think each brick had both sides angle cut but just one cut to cut the brick in half helped with the way the brick would then need less mortar and kind of fit better. It may have been tappered both sides I cant remember but I think there may have been some thoughts shared on how to precut the bricks a little differently for each course. I am thinking especially for the upper few courses I want to tapper my bricks this time.

A second thing I will throw out as an idea wondering if anyone has thought of something similar to try is making up a special jig to lay the top 3 courses totally seperate from the rest of the dome. Calculate the circumfrance needed from the last course standing on oven before you build this and then mortar it in place as one heavy lid. Last time I did a castable lid and it was ok but may want to try this idea instead. What do people think of this idea....wayne
    Step by Step of Oven #2 Build... I have built this one in partnership with a friend for a customer that took a liking to my first oven https://picasaweb.google.com/waynebe...42PompeiiOven#

Re: help to find old post

I often remember posts I read and can't find them again.. the downside to a successful forum!

I think I remember the post you're talking about. Maybe 15*? I seem to think it wasn't that critical (actual angle), and it wasn't too steep of a cut.
    My oven (for now):
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Hello,

As you can see there are many posts, and threads. You can try using the search button and go to advance search to type in key words that were in the old post you are looking for. There is also an option for a tag search that will take you to the 70 most used thread tags. I hope this information helps on your search.

Heidi
      Forno Bravo

Comment

thanks folks....I have found it. Post was from "Lars". His idea was to make one cut through full size bricks so the half piece will have one edge at 4 inches wide and the other edge will have a 5 inch width. So one angled cut gives you two pieces but one edge of each piece is not really tappered it is still at the factory 90 degress. A picture would be easier but I hope my explaination is working. I just may try this............wayne
        Step by Step of Oven #2 Build... I have built this one in partnership with a friend for a customer that took a liking to my first oven https://picasaweb.google.com/waynebe...42PompeiiOven#

Comment

Working...
        X