X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fxpose
    replied
    Re: Concrete by the wheelbarrow, mixer, trailer or pump

For small pours under 5 bags, for instance, I use the wheelbarrow and mix by hand. Anything beyond that I use my mixer and I've been using the mixer just about every weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Lars
    replied

Hey Lw...
    Try an Oddjob bucket!!!
    L.

Leave a comment:

• lwalper
    replied

I've been mixing 80# QuikCrete in a wheelbarrow. It's been in the 30-40F degree range, so too rapid setup is not a problem. I can still steel trowel the surface 2 days after pouring.

Cost for ready mix is currently $94/yd. - QuicCrete is $4.50/bag (0.6 cu.ft.). At 42 +/- bags/yd that runs a pricy $189/yd, but for small loads (less than 3 yds) theres an additional haul fee of up to $100, so the ready mix price actually comes out to $194/yd -- more than QuicCrete -- so, I'm mixing my own in in a wheelbarrow.

Leave a comment:

• kombiman
    replied

Originally posted by ikhan42 View Post
    kombiman,

Thanks for that info, I called them and they said they mix it on site in wheel barrows and I have to wheelit in and they do 2 wheel barrows at a time and I have 6 mins to get the stuff in the formwork. Would be costly but easier if I get the pump as I wont have anyone here to help.

Guess my other option is to stand on the hearth and mix it on the hearth in a plastic box and tip it out hmmm.

ikhan42
    They saaaay that

I am on a steeeep block. As long as I was barrowing the guy was cool. He copuld see I was putting an effort in and lined up each barrow ready for me. Would be cheaper to do this and hire a labourer than a pump and the extra fees and concrete to prime/finish.You dont need to screed until the end and if you add a bit extra and work down a bit you wont run out. Be a heap cheaper.

Leave a comment:

• ikhan42
    replied

kombiman,

Thanks for that info, I called them and they said they mix it on site in wheel barrows and I have to wheelit in and they do 2 wheel barrows at a time and I have 6 mins to get the stuff in the formwork. Would be costly but easier if I get the pump as I wont have anyone here to help.

Guess my other option is to stand on the hearth and mix it on the hearth in a plastic box and tip it out hmmm.

ikhan42

Originally posted by kombiman View Post
    Check out Concrete taxi as an economical solution. Mix on site, pay for what you need. The size of the job would no warrant a pump rig and truck. You would waste more than you use.

I used them for the foundation and will do again for the bench. Worked out $230 for half a cube mixed and in the formwork. $310 iirc for a whole cube (gets cheaper as you use more as the initial hit is for the truck sitting there)

Here in Bris you get fees for sub 4 cubes, waiting fees, minimum pump fees and actually getting them all there.

I have a mixer. A half cube blend is a full 6x4 trailer and I cannot mix it fast enough to get the whole job done (and get another trailer of blend) before it starts going off. Half a cube of blend and bags of GP cost me a bit over $100 so it is about $100ish dearer and mixed for me

Leave a comment:

• kombiman
    replied

Originally posted by ikhan42 View Post
    I think I will had mix for my foundation as that area is fairly small due to an existing slab covering most of the are I am building on and just a garden bed needs concreting so will definately do that with hand.

For the hearth I think I am just going to get a truck and hire a pumping company for the day. The tems are getting fairly hot now in Sydney so would prefer to do it in one pour rather then mix in the wheel barrow and have 1/2 the slab already going off while the other 1/2 is still being layed. This wil be easy on the back and also costs just marginally more then me buying a mixer.

Hey I figure I will save my back for the oven building as this looks like that is pretty intense on the back with all the bending and climbing.

ikhan42
    Check out Concrete taxi as an economical solution. Mix on site, pay for what you need. The size of the job would no warrant a pump rig and truck. You would waste more than you use.

I used them for the foundation and will do again for the bench. Worked out $230 for half a cube mixed and in the formwork. $310 iirc for a whole cube (gets cheaper as you use more as the initial hit is for the truck sitting there)

Here in Bris you get fees for sub 4 cubes, waiting fees, minimum pump fees and actually getting them all there.

I have a mixer. A half cube blend is a full 6x4 trailer and I cannot mix it fast enough to get the whole job done (and get another trailer of blend) before it starts going off. Half a cube of blend and bags of GP cost me a bit over $100 so it is about $100ish dearer and mixed for me

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

The oven building was actually easier for me than the base.. the hardest part of the whole build was ust carrying everything to the back yard.. a wheelbarrow is a must

good luck with your build
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• ikhan42
    replied

I think I will had mix for my foundation as that area is fairly small due to an existing slab covering most of the are I am building on and just a garden bed needs concreting so will definately do that with hand.

For the hearth I think I am just going to get a truck and hire a pumping company for the day. The tems are getting fairly hot now in Sydney so would prefer to do it in one pour rather then mix in the wheel barrow and have 1/2 the slab already going off while the other 1/2 is still being layed. This wil be easy on the back and also costs just marginally more then me buying a mixer.

Hey I figure I will save my back for the oven building as this looks like that is pretty intense on the back with all the bending and climbing.

ikhan42

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

HF Mixer ,,, 1 1/4 cubic foot about 100$ with the coupon,, so far between the oven and other projects, have mixed over 150 bags.. one of their better products.. would still be mixing without it...
    Great for small do-it-yourself jobs such as mailbox and fence pole foundations and curb repair.

Belt driven 1/4 HP motor
    8" solid rubber wheels
    Convenient portable design
    Rugged steel construction

1.25 cubic ft. drum capacity; 1/4 HP, 110 volt; Overall dimensions: 44'' L x 20-1/4'' W x 40-1/2'' H
    Shipping weight: 107 lbs.

ITEM 91907-6VGA
    Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied

I missed your first post there. You won't regret the mixer. I got the Lowe's unit with the polly drum. Cleans up easy.

Amazon.com: Black Lynx 636004 1.5 HP Electric Drive Cement Mixer: Home Improvement

This is the unit Lowe's has. Check out my thread I have some pics of it being used. $299.00 at Lowe's

Like I said you won't regret the mixer. I just had to do my hearth (28 bags) and I felt it was worth it. I did also get a little mixing tray and setup a cool trolly setup.

Cool thing on my mixer is loading a wheel barrow. Not cool thing is the drum is at chin level so you have to lift the cement higher.

Mike
    Last edited by MetalHead; 10-09-2009, 05:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lars
    replied

Keith,
    I looked ALL over when I wore out my first one.. Spent way too much for TWO more on line, then I think I found them at Menard's later ( for less)

The lid could, seriously, be re-engineered. But, if you keep it clean and are gentle with it, it can mix many tons of concrete for you -- with very little effort.

L.

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

Man, where do you buy those things. Seems like such a simple and clever idea. I would add "spokes" on the ends and insert a fork on a long handle so you can push or pull it around without leaning over, but that's just me trying to improve an already nifty idea.

Leave a comment:

• Lars
    replied

Fxpose,

Even better! Roll down hill. We have a circle that we call the flat spot, about 30' in diameter. For many years it was the only flat spot on the land.

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Originally posted by Lars View Post
    I rolled around the odd job bucket yesterday to mix up two 80# bags. Barely noticed the effort.
    I don't have level ground anywhere on my property to do this.

Leave a comment:

• Lars
    replied

I rolled around the odd job bucket yesterday to mix up two 80# bags. Barely noticed the effort.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X