This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Concrete by the wheelbarrow, mixer, trailer or pump

I missed your first post there. You won't regret the mixer. I got the Lowe's unit with the polly drum. Cleans up easy.

Amazon.com: Black Lynx 636004 1.5 HP Electric Drive Cement Mixer: Home Improvement

This is the unit Lowe's has. Check out my thread I have some pics of it being used. $299.00 at Lowe's

Like I said you won't regret the mixer. I just had to do my hearth (28 bags) and I felt it was worth it. I did also get a little mixing tray and setup a cool trolly setup.

Cool thing on my mixer is loading a wheel barrow. Not cool thing is the drum is at chin level so you have to lift the cement higher.

Mike
    Last edited by MetalHead; 10-09-2009, 05:10 PM.
    Columbiana, Alabama WFO Build.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/o...bama-7837.html

Comment

HF Mixer ,,, 1 1/4 cubic foot about 100$ with the coupon,, so far between the oven and other projects, have mixed over 150 bags.. one of their better products.. would still be mixing without it...
      Great for small do-it-yourself jobs such as mailbox and fence pole foundations and curb repair.

Belt driven 1/4 HP motor
      8" solid rubber wheels
      Convenient portable design
      Rugged steel construction

1.25 cubic ft. drum capacity; 1/4 HP, 110 volt; Overall dimensions: 44'' L x 20-1/4'' W x 40-1/2'' H
      Shipping weight: 107 lbs.

ITEM 91907-6VGA
      Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:47 PM.

Comment

I think I will had mix for my foundation as that area is fairly small due to an existing slab covering most of the are I am building on and just a garden bed needs concreting so will definately do that with hand.

For the hearth I think I am just going to get a truck and hire a pumping company for the day. The tems are getting fairly hot now in Sydney so would prefer to do it in one pour rather then mix in the wheel barrow and have 1/2 the slab already going off while the other 1/2 is still being layed. This wil be easy on the back and also costs just marginally more then me buying a mixer.

Hey I figure I will save my back for the oven building as this looks like that is pretty intense on the back with all the bending and climbing.

ikhan42

Comment

The oven building was actually easier for me than the base.. the hardest part of the whole build was ust carrying everything to the back yard.. a wheelbarrow is a must

good luck with your build
          Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ikhan42 View Post
            I think I will had mix for my foundation as that area is fairly small due to an existing slab covering most of the are I am building on and just a garden bed needs concreting so will definately do that with hand.

For the hearth I think I am just going to get a truck and hire a pumping company for the day. The tems are getting fairly hot now in Sydney so would prefer to do it in one pour rather then mix in the wheel barrow and have 1/2 the slab already going off while the other 1/2 is still being layed. This wil be easy on the back and also costs just marginally more then me buying a mixer.

Hey I figure I will save my back for the oven building as this looks like that is pretty intense on the back with all the bending and climbing.

ikhan42
            Check out Concrete taxi as an economical solution. Mix on site, pay for what you need. The size of the job would no warrant a pump rig and truck. You would waste more than you use.

I used them for the foundation and will do again for the bench. Worked out $230 for half a cube mixed and in the formwork. $310 iirc for a whole cube (gets cheaper as you use more as the initial hit is for the truck sitting there)

Here in Bris you get fees for sub 4 cubes, waiting fees, minimum pump fees and actually getting them all there.

I have a mixer. A half cube blend is a full 6x4 trailer and I cannot mix it fast enough to get the whole job done (and get another trailer of blend) before it starts going off. Half a cube of blend and bags of GP cost me a bit over $100 so it is about $100ish dearer and mixed for me

Comment

kombiman,

Thanks for that info, I called them and they said they mix it on site in wheel barrows and I have to wheelit in and they do 2 wheel barrows at a time and I have 6 mins to get the stuff in the formwork. Would be costly but easier if I get the pump as I wont have anyone here to help.

Guess my other option is to stand on the hearth and mix it on the hearth in a plastic box and tip it out hmmm.

ikhan42

Originally posted by kombiman View Post
              Check out Concrete taxi as an economical solution. Mix on site, pay for what you need. The size of the job would no warrant a pump rig and truck. You would waste more than you use.

I used them for the foundation and will do again for the bench. Worked out $230 for half a cube mixed and in the formwork. $310 iirc for a whole cube (gets cheaper as you use more as the initial hit is for the truck sitting there)

Here in Bris you get fees for sub 4 cubes, waiting fees, minimum pump fees and actually getting them all there.

I have a mixer. A half cube blend is a full 6x4 trailer and I cannot mix it fast enough to get the whole job done (and get another trailer of blend) before it starts going off. Half a cube of blend and bags of GP cost me a bit over $100 so it is about $100ish dearer and mixed for me

Comment

Originally posted by ikhan42 View Post
                kombiman,

Thanks for that info, I called them and they said they mix it on site in wheel barrows and I have to wheelit in and they do 2 wheel barrows at a time and I have 6 mins to get the stuff in the formwork. Would be costly but easier if I get the pump as I wont have anyone here to help.

Guess my other option is to stand on the hearth and mix it on the hearth in a plastic box and tip it out hmmm.

ikhan42
                They saaaay that

I am on a steeeep block. As long as I was barrowing the guy was cool. He copuld see I was putting an effort in and lined up each barrow ready for me. Would be cheaper to do this and hire a labourer than a pump and the extra fees and concrete to prime/finish.You dont need to screed until the end and if you add a bit extra and work down a bit you wont run out. Be a heap cheaper.

Comment

I've been mixing 80# QuikCrete in a wheelbarrow. It's been in the 30-40F degree range, so too rapid setup is not a problem. I can still steel trowel the surface 2 days after pouring.

Cost for ready mix is currently $94/yd. - QuicCrete is $4.50/bag (0.6 cu.ft.). At 42 +/- bags/yd that runs a pricy $189/yd, but for small loads (less than 3 yds) theres an additional haul fee of up to $100, so the ready mix price actually comes out to $194/yd -- more than QuicCrete -- so, I'm mixing my own in in a wheelbarrow.

Comment

Hey Lw...
                    Try an Oddjob bucket!!!
                    L.
                    This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

For small pours under 5 bags, for instance, I use the wheelbarrow and mix by hand. Anything beyond that I use my mixer and I've been using the mixer just about every weekend.
                      George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

it's difficult for me to use a wheelbarrow, because i don't know how to use
                        One of the best strong power tools supplier

Comment

I have been using a small electric mixer, the orange brand you can rent at the local big box hardware store, for an outdoor kitchen until it recently broke. This unfortunate incident made me nervous about having to build my foundation slab and oven stand by hand mixing in a wheelbarrow. Well, I must admit that the wheelbarrow method was not that bad. What really helped was having two people, one person mixing in one wheelbarrow while the other one transported the full wheelbarrow from the piles of concrete and portland cement (we mixed our own) to the oven location 100 yds away. This kept a continuous flow of concrete to the installation. Good workout, but doable.
                          Last edited by mackerrow; 10-12-2010, 08:41 PM.

Comment

I like to get a load of sand and gravel at the quarry in my pickup truck. Then I back the truck right up to the concrete form and open the tailgate. I put the wheelbarrow and some bags of portland up there with me, along with the garden hose and mixing tools. Then I mix up the loads in the wheelbarrow right there in the truck; gravity helps you dump it out, and it's way cheaper to mix up 'crete when you buy the ingredients instead of pre-mixed 80lb bags.

Comment

Hi All,

Quoting tracygg

"it's difficult for me to use a wheelbarrow, because i don't know how to use"

I certainly understand the problem. I knew someone who never found a shovel handle, saw, or trowel that fit his hands, so he avoid using them. LOL

Cheers,
                              Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

I did it both ways. After dry-stacking the concrete block for the stand and putting the rebar in, I mixed up approximately fifteen bags and filled the cores most of the way. (Because the block had bond-beam openings the concrete pretty much poured from one void to another)..as such I eneded up pouring all of the forms. The fifteen bags was enough to fill the voids three fourths of the way up. A lot of work!!!

When I was ready to pour the hearth slab (and top off the voids in the concrete block voids) I ordered up a U-cart where they put 1.25 yards in a trailer and I pulled it to my house. Much much easier. Cost $138 for the concrete and trailer.

Since it takes 67 sixty pound bags of quick-crete to make a yard and a quarter, the U-cart method is a lot cheaper too. The only way it doesn't pencil out is if you don't own a vehicle to pull the trailer.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X