This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Concrete by the wheelbarrow, mixer, trailer or pump

XJ - what the heck is that? They deliver the concrete in tubs and you and a friend carry to the site and dump it in? They look heavy!
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

George, I'm guessing that the truck comes by and fills the tubs, then leaves!

They then transfer the tub to the hopper and lift for a pour somewhere.

....they definately do a lot of things differently here....
      sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Originally posted by sarah h View Post
        The solution for us was something called the Odjob Mixer, a rigid and tough plastic container in which you add the water, the bag of concrete (30 kg / 66 lbs), put the lid on, then roll on the ground for 30 seconds.
        I have had one of these for years and it works great for small jobs. Last year I had 10 yrds of sand and 5 yds of gravel delivered and used about 80 bags of portland cement in the front yard. For about the same price ( $50 US) I found an electric cement mixer on Craigslist that mixes about 3 bags worth at a time. The seller even threw in a second motor for it. Given the choice of the Oddjob or an electric....the electric wins hands down for any job over 10 sq ft.
        Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

I work for the company that builds the little concrete trailers (Cart-Away). I also have poured many yards with the little 1/3 yard mixers, and out of the big trucks. Then I started with Cart-Away, and now of course I use them. Not because I work there, we manufacture the unites, but we don't make concrete, so I have to buy it like everyone else. But because it is so much easier. I had my own concrete precast company, and I wish I knew about them back then. They are great. If you look in your local yellow pages under ready-mix, you will probably find someone that owns either one of our mixers or our competitors. Good luck with your project.

Comment

It's hard to believe that we are in hard times. I've been calling around the last few days trying to find somebody that will come and pour my slab for me. I have it all formed out and the metal is in all they have to do is pour about a yard of concrete. I'm now faced with the prospect of getting a pallet of concrete from Homedepot and renting a mixer. Monte I would be curious if your company has sold any Cart-Aways in the southeast florida area. Please let me know since this seems like it might be a better solution.
            Thanks
            Larry

Comment

Larry, we have sold some in Florida. There is United Rentals in West Palm Beach, and Brevard U-Cart in Coco Beach. Are any of these close to you?
              Monte

Comment

Hi Monte thanks for the reply. I was able to get a local company to hand mix it for me on site. Since it was just yard the guy didn't even want me to rent a mixer and he did a great job.

Regards
                Larry

Comment

One of my friends who is helping me build my foundation was able to get one from his work for the weekend. Total cost: $0.

I owe him a pizza or two when all is said and done...

Comment

Papavino that's a good friend to have! I think that you may owe him a few pizza's and a good bottle of wine.

Larry

Comment

Yeah, Larry, at the very least.

Comment

Regarding mixing concrete for slabs, hearth, etc.

A long time ago, I found a bucket at the local home improvement store called and 'OdJob' bucket. For several years I didn't mix up much concrete, but when I did, I just poured in the water, poured in the bag, screw on the lid, and roll it around... in about 2 minutes, an 80 lb. bag of concrete is mixed and ready to pour.

In the last summer, I REALLY used this method a LOT. What you do is, park the tractor uphill of your work site. Set the bucket down right in front of your loader bucket ( at about waist height) pour in one gallon milk jug of water, set the 80 lb. bag of concrete across the top of the bucket. Cut the bottom of the bag and let the contents pour ( by themselves) into the bucket. Close the lid, tip, roll down hill to the site -- and POUR!

My son and I easily mix 16 bags this way. There's no way around work when you are mixing concrete, but this is quick, low cost, and relatively effortless.

Just my 2 cents.
                        This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

For me I poured the footings and the base for the stand using a cement truck as it was part of some renovations i am doing and there was other footings and slabs to pour.

For the hearth base i was planning to hire a mixer and mix it myself but found a cement place down the road that has a trailer that they dump cement into for you and you tow it home and take as long as you need then drop the trailer back. The price to do it that was is roughly the same as hiring a mixer and all the materials and is going to be a fair bit less work.
                          Real men cook with fire
                          My Oven and Fireplace Build

Comment

That's really great Lars good technique. Well i want to purchase a wheel barrow for my garden and in this link Fort TK100 Wheelbarrow i have got many different types of Wheel barrows deals. So please guys suggest me which one should be better. A Single Wheel Barrow or Double Wheel Barrow

Comment

I have a double wheel and really like it. It doesn't want to tip over and when emptying it pours straight. 2 is better than 1

Comment

I hired a crew for the pad, they put in the forms and used a truck to pump the aggregate. Cost me $1200. I had an aggregate-exposed patio to match and I wasn't sure I could do it myself...but i was wrong. The contractor's pad wasn't even square! If I had it to do over again I would have put in my own forms, hired a truck to pump the concrete, and applied the inhibitor myself. I could have saved $750, and I would have placed perfectly square forms.

Comment

Working...
                                X