Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question on fire brick

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • vinci666
    replied
    Re: question on fire brick

    thank you, i got the slab form ready with enough room to have a small patio near the oven, hopefully for some pizza parties haha

    Leave a comment:


  • Lburou
    replied
    Re: question on fire brick

    Originally posted by shuboyje View Post
    I don't think the OP is asking about buying half bricks, I think they are asking if the 130 brick count is for whole bricks or if that is the amount of half bricks needed, meaning 65 full bricks split into 130 half.
    Get 130 whole bricks, if that is what the plans call for, plus enough extra to save a trip to buy more after you make a few mistakes.....Maybe 10-20 extra.

    Leave a comment:


  • vinci666
    replied
    Re: question on fire brick

    correct Shuboyje

    Leave a comment:


  • shuboyje
    replied
    Re: question on fire brick

    I don't think the OP is asking about buying half bricks, I think they are asking if the 130 brick count is for whole bricks or if that is the amount of half bricks needed, meaning 65 full bricks split into 130 half.

    Leave a comment:


  • vinci666
    replied
    Re: question on fire brick

    Hey thanks guys. I found a place that does sell half bricks but now with the info I just got I will have to go and see them rather thenvjust a phone call. If they are splits ill be buying full bricks. Thanks very much for your help. I'm very excited about doing this and could use allot of help lol

    Michael

    Leave a comment:


  • dmun
    replied
    Re: question on fire brick

    There are half size fire bricks - but half in the thin dimension. They're called "splits" and they are usually the same price as full size bricks. You don't want these. The regular firebrick that you can buy at a masonry supply or brickyard is what you want. Halving bricks is pretty simple: a diamond saw cuts them easily, you can even break them in half with a special chisel called a brickset. You'll probably want some kind of diamond saw, as some trimming is called for in even the most simple build.

    Leave a comment:


  • stoveup
    replied
    Re: question on fire brick

    The dome is built of half-bricks, but you will have to cut them yourself. I have not heard of anyone finding half-bricks for sale. There are several ways to cut the bricks - check out some of the build threads on this forum to see how others have done it. There is a thread in the Newbie Forum here: A newbie?s survey of the Forno Bravo treasures hiding in the archives that will point you toward several especially helpful builds.

    There is also a description of the various ways to cut bricks in the free pompeii oven plans.

    Good Luck!

    Leave a comment:


  • vinci666
    started a topic question on fire brick

    question on fire brick

    I am about to order some fire bricks to build a pompeii oven. The smaller one I believe 36". I see It states you need approximately 130 bricks, but in the plans it states you will need 130 half bricks. Does anyone know what I should order. Half or full size.The pics appear to indicate half bricks for the dome
Working...
X