Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to cut granite block (40mm thick) DIY style & safely?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to cut granite block (40mm thick) DIY style & safely?

Hi All,

For those with stone masonry expertise,, may i ask. How do i cut granite (1200x300x40mm). I got a crazy quote of $168 AUD to do a single cut to make it half ................?!?!?!?!?!?

Anyone out in the west of sydney able to do a cut for me for a small fee??? otherwise any ideas how i can do it myself?

Also, how to i "stick" to peices of granite together? or can just lay them tightly next to each other? What i need to do is make a 43cm wide bench top. But the granite pieces are only 30cm wide ....

Thanks in advance~!!!

Cheers,

Gummz

Re: How to cut granite block (40mm thick) DIY style & safely?

If you don't need a finished edge - just cut it with a diamond blade on a circular saw. Put some tape over the area you're going to cut to prevent splintering.
    Last edited by Cheesesteak; 04-04-2011, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheesesteak View Post
      If you don need a finished edge - just cut it with a diamond blade on a circular saw. Put some tape over the area you're going to cut to prevent splintering.
      If you try Cheesesteak's recommendation, clamp a straight edge on there to keep it straight
      Last edited by Lburou; 04-04-2011, 09:35 AM.
      Lee B.
      DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

That settles it. I'm moving to Australia. I'm gonna bring me a container of firebricks and a diamond saw, and I'm gonna get rich
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

That settles it. I'm moving to Australia. I'm gonna bring me a container of firebricks and a diamond saw, and I'm gonna get rich
          I've been thinking along the same lines - there ought to be a lot of money in manufacturing firebricks in Aussie land. How can a country that has so much have so little in the way of firebricks?

Comment

Originally posted by stoveup View Post
            How can a country that has so much have so little in the way of firebricks?
            There is no demand for firebrick as hardly anyone has a fireplace in their house because most of the country is not that cold over winter. Where I live 6' C (43' F) over night is about as cold as it ever gets in winter.
            Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
            (Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)

Comment

there may not be many fireplaces, sure seems like everyone has built or is building an oven.
              dmun, stoveup......care to split that container 3 ways? I could really use a get rich quick scheme.

RT

Comment

You can get as many firebricks as needed and more for A$3 each in Melbourne.
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

G'day Gummz,
                  Agree with Cheesesteak. I had a similar experience, had an offcut of granite, quote for a single cut was around $75! Apparently the grantie I had was a reall hard type but when I though "bugger it, I'll give it a go with the diamond balde fro my circular saw I bought off eBay for $12" it didn't seem so hard! Literally 2 minutes later I was done. Sure the edge isn't polished but it is covered anyway and saved be $75.
                  Cheerio,
                  Mark CH

Comment

G'day Gummz,
                    Agree with Cheesesteak. I had a similar experience, had an offcut of granite, quote for a single cut was around $75! Apparently the grantie I had was a really hard type but when I though "bugger it, I'll give it a go with the diamond blade on my circular saw I bought off eBay for $12" it didn't seem so hard! Literally 2 minutes later I was done. Sure the edge isn't polished but it is covered anyway and saved me $75.
                    Cheerio,
                    Mark CH

Comment

Working...
                    X