Advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please

We are planning a 32" Pompei oven. So far we have acquired some high performance white insulating bricks , 42% alumina fire bricks and 4 large square 4 inch thick 42% alumina slabs.

Our plan is to use two layers of insulating bricks for the base, followed by the slabs. Build the dome with half firebricks and then another course of insulating bricks over the entire dome.

First of all does this sound feasible?

Would we need to use vermicrete to secure the insulating brick base?

Would vermicrete be appropriate to fix the insulating bricks over the firebrick dome and also as a final application to complete the domes outer layer?

What are the ratios of cement/sand /vermiculite, and is horticultural vermiculite appropriate.

Thanks in advance
    Jo

Re: Advice please

As far as insulating the dome you'll need more than just a layer of insulating bricks over the firefricks.
    George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

If I remember correctly, insulating firebricks have about the same insulating value per inch as vermiculite or perlite concrete. If those insulating bricks are standard thickness (about 2 1/2"), you would need either a second layer or a layer of vermiculite concrete.
      Vermicrete ratio is 5-1 (no sand) for under the hearth slab. Over the dome it can be stretched to 8-1 (again, no sand).
      Horticultural grade is perfect.

RT

Comment

Wait a minute, I just reread your post.
        Please clarify. Starting with your hearth firebricks, what is the order of materials working DOWN?
        Should be:
        Hearth firebricks
        insulating layer (insulating bricks, vermicrete, ceramic fiber board)
        reinforced concrete hearth slab.
        Support stand

Have you downloaded the FREE pompeii oven plans in the Forno Bravo store? This should be your starting point. Read them, read them again, then one more time and keep them hand as your build progresses.

RT

Comment

Thanks for the replies and sorry for posting in different places, thought I would get a few different opinions as there seems to be many ways to do it.

Anyway, on to one of the questions.

Because we have managed to get so many high performance insulating bricks we wanted to use this in place of an insulating concrete slab for the base. So, the question is as we are using a double layer do we just dry lay these, secure them with cement/adhesive or alternatively use a band to stop them spreading?

Once the insulating base is in place do we use cement or adhesive to secure the hearth or dry lay this too.

If the answer is to use cement or adhesive what type should be used and is s the same mix used for all layers or is it necessary to use for example vermicrete for the insulating bricks and fire cement for the hearth.

Thanks everyone
          Jo

Comment

Originally posted by tenpin2 View Post
            Because we have managed to get so many high performance insulating bricks we wanted to use this in place of an insulating concrete slab for the base. So, the question is as we are using a double layer do we just dry lay these, secure them with cement/adhesive or alternatively use a band to stop them spreading?
            Yes.......................

Once the insulating base is in place do we use cement or adhesive to secure the hearth or dry lay this too.
            Yes

If the answer is to use cement or adhesive what type should be used and is s the same mix used for all layers or is it necessary to use for example vermicrete for the insulating bricks and fire cement for the hearth.
            Yes
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Annoying, isnt it?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

So, you're told not to post the same question in multiple places and you go ahead and do it again right away? I'm in agreement with Brickie.
                My oven (for now):
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

As I said, I posted in a few different forums to get some different opinions. It would seem opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one.

As for being an internet hardman Brickie, what's next, the cutting use of an apostrophe, some harsh spelling, an abrasive use of the quote function.

Instead of being a smartarse, why dont you offer some of your obvious antipodean wisdom and actually answer the question, or is being a the king of the brick oven more important

Comment

I think you have some misunderstandings. You did not post to different forums... you posted the same question on one forum multiple times in different sections, which makes it difficult for all to know if a question has been answered. Perhaps you should go to some other forums and post similarly and see how it turns out. I've seen many questions answered here which I would put in the 'dumb' category... the people here are indeed very willing to help, and be nice about it.

Brickie (who has answered many questions and is extremely helpful overall) has indeed given you some answers to your questions. Since it would seem by your earliest statements you have chosen to not follow Forno Bravo's plans, you can't, and shouldn't really expect too much off of the little info you have supplied.
                    Last edited by Tman1; 04-12-2011, 10:46 AM. Reason: clarification
                    My oven (for now):

Comment

Thanks to all those generous of spirit who PM'd me with some helpful advice.
                      Much appreciated

Comment

Perhaps, since this is a public forum, and works best when knowledge is shared, you could post the pertinent facts for all to see. That way, when, and if, this type of question comes up again, someone else will be able to benefit from the knowledge you have attained.
                        My oven (for now):

Comment

I think that we benefit from an open exchange of ideas. The cost of maintaining this civility is sometimes to give an obvious answer to an obvious question, no matter how many times we've answered it before, or how easy the answer would be to find with a basic search. There have been times when I've taken time from a busy day to tell someone that "no, broken glass, or sand, or gravel is not an insulation material", even when the person might be offended by my contradicting the "book" they just bought.

Rereading the thread, it seems that the original poster got good advice from both Rtflorida, and Fxpose. Yes, perhaps he multiple posted, which is a bit annoying for those of us who try to read every thread, but I'm sure I do annoying things from time to time, as well.

Remember, we do this to have fun. We try to support new members so the fun/frustration quotient tilts to the fun side. I tend only to become impatient when someone proposes to do something unsafe, which certainly wasn't the case here.
                          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

David, you nailed it (again). As a moderator do you have the power to strip a multiple post? We have seen it many times and I really believe it's unintentional.
                            Last edited by Les; 04-12-2011, 08:51 PM.
                            Check out my pictures here:
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Karangi Dude

I think that all new members should be guided to download the Forno Bravo Plans to READ...
                              Which was my very first answer on the subject.

Sorry if Ive offended but Ive seen the work of trolls on many forums, they do it just to annoy others.

(just as aside, I used to be an amin for a large 10,000+ member woodworking forum running Vbulletin software done it for over 2 years.
                              Ive seen all the tricks trolls and spammers can get up to, I used to just delete them after I banned the Ip and email addresses, so yes I am a hard head cracking bastard with no punches pulled.)

Tenpin2, take the advise that 3 ppl myself included gave, and read the plans, they are free.
                              Last edited by brickie in oz; 04-14-2011, 01:26 AM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                              X