Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven Door

Hi All,

I've fired up my oven a few times now and when its cold the wooden template i used to do my arches cover the entrance pretty well.

However a few hours later when it gets hotter some part of my entrance moves the the wooden template doesn't fit as snug anymore.

Does anyone else have this issue and if so how did you make your oven door (to fit both when cold and hot???

I've heard of bricks moving but not the entrance expanding .....

When things get cold, it all goes back to norm.

Any theories, comments??

Cheers,

Gummz

Re: Oven Door

HI Gummz,
    my oven has a steel door surround and arch lintel, so there is not much movement. My door is made to go up against a vertical seal rather than fit snugly within the door opening void. A picture of your oven entrance would help solve or reduce your problem.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Masonry and wood do have very different thermal coefficients of expansions, but I wouldn't think it would be visible. Very interesting.

Hmm. I just pulled up the data:
      Coefficients of Linear Expansion
      It's not that big a difference.
      Hmm.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I experienced the same effect with my first oven. I made a tapered wooden door which I cast over with cartable refractory so the fit was pretty tight. If I left the door in place overnight it was difficult to remove because the refractory had expanded significantly on heating and then shrunk tight around it on cooling. I learnt to pull the door out a tiny bit before leaving it overnight. I think the door is better if it sits in front of the arch rather than in it for the above reason.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
        X