Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying stucco

Hi folks,

It is the second season for our pizza oven and outdoor kitchen project. This is the summer of the facades! I am considering putting stucco over the existing backer board that frames the oven and have some questions.

A bit of background:

The lower portion is going to be stone over the concrete block (I've been gathering ledge stone in the hills above Clark Fork, Idaho for years) and will start this work next week (if it doesn't snow again).

The oven itself is framed with steel studs and backer board and is hexagonal in shape. When the snow came off this spring I put on a conical cedar shake roof (I am going to have a pavilion over the top of the entire kitchen area and will be extending the chimney through the roof, so I am not worrying about sparks igniting the cedar). A picture is attached.

I think that doing the oven facade in stone will be a bit "too much" visually and am considering completing the oven facade in stucco. So what are the steps? Do I need waterproof the backer board? And how about putting down wire mesh?

Any and all advice is welcome!

Good Roads

Harpist
    The pizza oven project can be seen in detail here!

Re: Applying stucco

Acrylic stucco uses fiberglass mesh. Traditional cementitious stucco uses metal mesh.

Comment

i used metal lath and then sto brand stucco, acrylic finish... the lath really tears up your hands..

Comment

I'm real impressed with th thoroughness of your construction. I am in the finishing stages of my own corner oven construction (a modular Casa2G100 oven), and used cultured stone for the base, and I am just about to stucco the surround. I plan to add color by picking out some rustic tile, and then finish it with a tinted stucco.

I used metal lath over the cement board surround, and then used standard mortar to create a scratch coat. That's where I'm at right now... I'll try to follow your progress too!

Comment

Working...
        X