Door with a View redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door with a View redux

After nearly four years in service and 3 Wisconsin winters, this door remains my favorite project and tool for the oven. Among its many uses it stands as a “storm door” to my Oak Insulated door, having been in place facing the elements since the day of its creation.

One of the mistakes I had made in its original creation is that when I was told by the friendly gentleman at Home Depot that the high heat spray paint did not need a primer, I believed. With a visit home this weekend, I finally decided to sand blast off the rust (primarily on the outward facing side) and old paint and do it right; with a couple coats of high heat primer followed by a couple more of finish coat.

The door serves as a wonderful draft door, assisting with the oven start up, while allowing you to witness the show within. When cooking, using the slides, you can precisely control the amount of airflow and therefore the fire and it allows you to monitor the items in the oven while baking, eliminating the need for dropping the temperature each time you remove the door for a look.

The glass is amazingly resilient (and well worth the high initial price). In cases where soot has obstructed the view, I have taken to simply wiping it down with a wet rag while in service on a 900 degree oven (beware the steam) which beats my old approach of a dry cloth. The glass can withstand temps 1400+ and wide swings in temps (like a 65 degree wet rag on a 900 degree window).

Here is the original post for those who may want to take this on.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/g...html#post41805

Last edited by jcg31; 06-25-2011, 04:11 AM.

Re: Door with a View redux

These are very nice and very useful tips for me i am looking for these tips and now i am very happy after finding these useful tips thanks for sharing if you have some more please share with us.
    Free Flash Games

Comment

Re: Door with a View redux

Jim, I can't tell you how many times I've wanted that door!! Someday I'll get up the nerve (and hopefully skills) to try to make one myself. Glad to see she's still performing for you.
      - Daren
      Picasa web album
      Oven-building thread

Comment

Working...
      X