fire board options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fire board options

Okay - a bit of a random question but I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm building a little hibachi / yakitori grill that's about 24" by 10". Its a steel frame with (right now) tiles set in the sides.

I was asuming that the tiles wouldn't hold up (although they are fairly heavy floor tiles) to the heat of the charcoal that's going to burn inside it. I was thinking of lining/backing the tiles with something like fireboard.

Any suggestions? I need something fairly cheap thats no more then 10mm thick if possible. Again - the heat isn't direct but I would like it to last a while. Do you think the tiles would hold up?

Re: fire board options

I'd recommend firebrick splits, but they are 25mm thick, and might be hard to source in the UK. You could try what we call quarry tile, hard dense terra cotta tiles that are used for commercial kitchen floors. They are cheap, and measure what would be 150 square by 10mm thick
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

In the UK I also remember heater bricks being used.

Chris
      Last edited by SCChris; 07-19-2011, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Thanks for this - but I need something fairly thin as I mentioned. I'll look for some quary tiles and see how that works.

Do you think the floor tiles would hold up to a fair heat without cracking? Do I need a second layer at all anyways?

Comment

Do you think the floor tiles would hold up to a fair heat without cracking?
          I don't know. It's not what they are designed for. In any event they are cheap enough that they are readily replaceable if they do crack.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
          X