Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indispensable tool question

Hey Guys

Quick question re: the indispensable tool...

Should the arm of this tool be adjustable? Or is my assumption right in saying that it should not be. if the high dome pompeii oven is being built, then the diameter is 42 inches, and the height is 21....so surely then the length of the tool will be 21 inches and not change?

Just wanted to confirm my thinking!

Cheers,
    Alexi

Re: Indispensable tool question

Some builds have the dome lower so the arm is adjustable, a personal choice I think.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

ahh indeed...

But a standard pompeii as according to the plans, a non adjustable arm will give you a nice dome shape and correct angling in...?

Comment

Originally posted by alexi82 View Post
        ahh indeed...

But a standard pompeii as according to the plans, a non adjustable arm will give you a nice dome shape and correct angling in...?
        Youll have to wait for one of them dome builders to answer Im afraid, Im one one of them dreaded barrel builders......whmhahahahahaha

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
          Im one one of them dreaded barrel builders......whmhahahahahaha
          haha don't worry, so am i. I haev built an Alan Scott barrel style oven already. its been fantastic. but we are moving house soon to a bigger place and i think im gonna give the pompeii a crack!

Comment

haha don't worry, so am i. I haev built an Alan Scott barrel style oven already. its been fantastic. but we are moving house soon to a bigger place and i think im gonna give the pompeii a crack!
            Ive built 3 ovens, number 1 was a cast refractory it was easy to build, the next oven was a barrel and very easy to build, and a 1/4 scale Pompeii which was the most painfulest because of the cuts that would have been involved if I didnt just bog it all up.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

nice one!

what do u think of the pompeii in comparison?

Comment

nice one!

what do u think of the pompeii in comparison?
                Ive not seen a full sized Pompeii in action nor built one and of course not wanting to upset anyone, but I think its just a pain to build, all them cuts, each course changes with the angle, no thanks.
                Keeping in mind Ive only built a 1/4 scale just for the exercise.

The full scale barrel was way easier to build in my opinion.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

hrm hrm hrm...

interesting.

in saying that...are there really that many cuts if using the single length indispensable tool? bar cutting each brick in half....?

Comment

Youll have to wait for the domers to wake up to answer that one.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

The I-Tool is for a standard Pompeii fixed. As for brick cutting, it's up to you how far you want to push the brick fitting. Some cut the bricks in half and let the mortar fill the gaps, some, like myself, cut each brick to fit and minimize the mortar. It's all up to you how far you want to go. In the end they all work as long as you pay attention to the basics like dome to entrance height and insulation.

Chris

Comment

In the end they all work as long as you pay attention to the basics like dome to entrance height and insulation.
                        Where can I find the information about the 'basics' quoted above? I'd like to give a proper dome a go, and would like to know the things I must know for it to have a chance, and the things I could do to get the best dome possible.

Comment

The V.2.0 plans are located on page
                          eBooks & CD ROMs :: Forno Bravo Store
                          Additional retrospective recomended change information is at
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/r...nges-1709.html

Read the plans first and then go through the "recomended changes" thread.

We're here for any questions but these resources will go a long way.

Sincerely

Chris

Comment

Hi Alexi

Photo attached shows the unit I have built for the oven I just completed. 42" internal diam and about 20 inch inside height.

I will try and answer a few of your questions the best I can from my experience with these units. This is the second one I have built.

First of there are two pivot points........one that spins side to side (the pivot point that is in the very center of the cook floor) and also the picot point that spins up and down (on my photo here its the hinge pin located just outbound from the center spinning pivot. This one that lets the arm move up and down is the one that will make the height of your dome different than the radius of cook floor if your up and down pivot is located outbound from the center of cook floor pivot. What I have just said is hard to explain for me but it is what happens.

Second thing I can mention on mine I ended up making it adjustable as for some reason as I got higher up in the dome it wanted to be slightly (like 1/16th " smaller in radius for each course for the bottom of one course to line up smoothly with the top of the course below it.

Sorry if this is confusing but it is hard to describe in writing for me. Good luck and I hope this helps. If you have nothing but time on your hands check out the build I just did (link below) and it shows this unit in action.

Wayne
                            Step by Step of Oven #2 Build... I have built this one in partnership with a friend for a customer that took a liking to my first oven https://picasaweb.google.com/waynebe...42PompeiiOven#

Comment

Originally posted by waynespizzaworld View Post

Second thing I can mention on mine I ended up making it adjustable as for some reason as I got higher up in the dome it wanted to be slightly (like 1/16th " smaller in radius for each course for the bottom of one course to line up smoothly with the top of the course below it.

Wayne
                              Wayne, I think you must have not cut your the top or bottom angle on the brick chains that would account tor the 16th inch change in top and bottom of the brick because the top of your tool only aligns with the top of the brick and not top of the previous chain of bricks that the brick will be sitting on. This causes the brick to appear to be a larger radius on the bottom as compared to the top and makes you want to adjust each chain to fit by decreasing the radius as you go up.

It is just a geometry thing.

Chip
                              Chip

Comment

Working...
                              X