hearth Insulation question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hearth Insulation question

have built an oven and floor out of refractory castable (See my other posts). I wish to mount this oven onto a trailer, I'd like to know would there be any problems if I were to sit the oven directly onto a sheet of plywood and placed rigid urethane insulation (3") Under the plywood for ease of mounting or would the insulation need to go directly under the hearth (The floor is 3" deep. Thank YOU

Re: hearth Insulation question

I don't think you want anything combustible next to your oven floor. That would rule out both plywood and urethane.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

The product I wish to use is called Kingspan here in the UK. I guess you have similar products abroad. It is a rigid foam with a silver paper outside. I used it before on an other oven and it worked very well. What do you suggest as a hearth insulator?

Comment

Kingspan is a phenolic foam. It is only good to about 300f for continuous use. I'm in the middle of being certified on their products as we speak.

Comment

There are lots of non-combustible choices. If you want a rigid foam, There are multiple mineral fiber choices, as well as the more expensive calcium silicate. These are both refractory products. If cost is an object, perlite or vermiculite can be mixed with portland cement. Builders have also used foamglass, an expanded glass block, or
          Autoclaved Aerated Concrete aka Hebel Block, although there have been some problems with brittleness reported with this.

There's no reason to use things that are going to outgas fumes or smoke in your build.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by shuboyje View Post
            Kingspan is a phenolic foam. It is only good to about 300f for continuous use. I'm in the middle of being certified on their products as we speak.
            Kingspan is the number one insulation panel product used here in the UK, It is actually shipped here from Ireland and costs a fortune to buy, However as I am in the construction industry I have been hoarding leftovers. Shame i can't utilize it to be used in my oven. Thanks all for your help

Comment

Working...
            X