No announcement yet.

poured castable refractory oven floor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poured castable refractory oven floor?

Anyone ever pour oven floor with Heatcast 40? search "Heatstop" - Product says its good up to 2000 degrees. It would give you a perfectly smooth oven floor and save a lot of time cutting and placing all those floor bricks.HEAT CAST-40 is a medium weight refractory castable product. It is also sometimes used in place of firebrick or it may be cast into special shapes for woodstoves, fireplace hearths, walls, boilers, furnaces, and other high temperature applications???? Any thoughts

Re: poured castable refractory oven floor?

Originally posted by larrycooper View Post
    Anyone ever pour oven floor with Heatcast 40? search "Heatstop" - Product says its good up to 2000 degrees. It would give you a perfectly smooth oven floor and save a lot of time cutting and placing all those floor bricks.HEAT CAST-40 is a medium weight refractory castable product. It is also sometimes used in place of firebrick or it may be cast into special shapes for woodstoves, fireplace hearths, walls, boilers, furnaces, and other high temperature applications???? Any thoughts
    Pouring a slab that large would develop cracks, others Have made a round center casting and 4-6 pie slices around the center circle.

Chip
    Chip

Comment

so you would place a grid system into it - any reinforcmennt?? Any forseeable problems? Do they retain heat as much/ or better than firebrick. This could really save a lot of time

Comment

Originally posted by larrycooper View Post
        so you would place a grid system into it - any reinforcmennt?? Any forseeable problems? Do they retain heat as much/ or better than firebrick. This could really save a lot of time
        By the time you make all of your forms I think it will take quite a bit longer. The main reason for doing cartable is the fewer number of seams. It does not take long to cut the bricks, I did it in less than 2 hours. Because most of the cuts are outside cuts they go quickly.

Chip
        Chip

Comment

I cast my oven floor myself and segmented it for ease of lifting and moving the oven. To be honest I would prefer using bricks made from natural products especially as food is going to be prepared on it. See it here http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/m...y-16182-2.html

Comment

The materials in castable refractory are essentially the same as a firebrick and there is little difference between them in density and abrasion resistance. I don't think you have a problem.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

The company i deal with here in the UK sell refractory castable however I believe the bricks are natural kaolinic clay similar to the clay used by the fantastic French ovens Le Panyol. Hence the colour difference of bagged castable and the white bricks

Comment

Working...
              X