Fire Clay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Clay

Just ran across this. May be of interest to those starting a oven who may have Code concerns.

1/2/2008
    Dear Valued Firebrick Customers:
    Whitacre Greer manufactures quality firebrick that comply with ASTM C-27 (Low
    Duty) and ASTM C-1261. Whitacre Greer also carries Heat Stop products for
    resale. Heat Stop is a line of refractory mortars that complies with ASTM C-199.
    Whitacre Greer firebrick and Heat Stop refractory mortars meet or exceed the
    requirements of local and national building codes and are certified by Whitacre
    Greer as such.
    Whitacre Greer also carries fireclay for resale. Fireclay has many uses for
    residential, commercial, and industrial applications. In some instances fireclay is
    incorporated into homemade/jobsite mortar mixes for firebrick and clay flue
    installations in fireplaces and chimneys; however, with changes to building codes in
    recent years, these mixes no longer meet the codes or the codes? intent. Fireclay is
    not refractory mortar and jobsite mixes utilizing fireclay are not refractory mortar,
    no matter the percentages of the mix or the items included in the mix. They simply
    do not meet the code.
    It is Whitacre Greer?s intent to inform our customers and to offer products of the
    highest standard for fire safety in accordance with the building codes. Please contact
    Whitacre Greer with any specific questions.
    Sincerely,
    Colby DeHoff
    Whitacre Greer

Re: Fire Clay

Staining firebrick is often a cost-effective way to get the color you want especially if the fireplace is already built.
    air charter

Comment

Sorry I don't understand

Comment

Staining or painting firebrick is moronic. Light a fire and the firebrick are black.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
          Staining or painting firebrick is moronic. Light a fire and the firebrick are black.
          I coat the inside of my dome with a mix that makes it white. When the carbon burns away you are left with a nice bright white dome. Works for me.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
            Originally posted by david s View Post
            I coat the inside of my dome with a mix that makes it white. When the carbon burns away you are left with a nice bright white dome. Works for me.
            I understand what he was saying or doing but don't understand why it is in reply to my post? I did not ask anything but wanted to help those who might get into trouble with code issues

Comment

Working...
            X