Importance of Stand size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importance of Stand size

I am planning on building the 42" oven using the fire brick. After building my foundation and stand I realized that my area to build the oven was not as large as you recommend. I have 64 wide x 80 deep to build the 42" oven. By my calculations the outside of the dome will be about 51" wide, the exterior of the wall with cement board will be at the 64" leaving 2.5" between the interior of the metal studs and outside of the dome. Plenty of room to wrap the dome in the fb blanket. My stand is built with a 4' footer using 12" block then I placed the 8" block at the grade level leaving a 4" ledge for my stone and brick. (its overkill but nice) So the 42" dome will fit on my stand but its not the size you suggest. Is this ok? Also, do I need to use the fb blanket if I cover the dome with vermiculite? thanks.
    Gino

Re: Importance of Stand size

Your calculations seem correct - 42 interior plus 4.5" on both sides = 51" 64" hearth less 51" dome leaves 13" for studs and finishing plus blanket. If you place the studs to be on either side of the widest part of your dome - there should be no problem. Even if the stud is exactly lined up with the widest part of dome - you can just leave that small 1 or 2" area with a little less blanket. Or just use 6" of vermiculite and let the peices fall where they may. I just broke ground on my build and have been slowed down by all the rain we've been getting. Hope to have foundation forms in and poured by next week. Good luck

Comment

Thanks, thats the response I was hoping to get. I will post pics of my build when I start the dome. Can't wait to get started on the dome. I am looking for the fb board online but so far have not found a better price than the Forno store.
      Gino

Comment

Have you poured the suspended slab yet ?

If not, you can easily cantilever it out from the wall a bit.

Comment

Yes, I poured it about a month ago. Today I made a cardboard layout template of the oven. It fits with room for the metal studs and rockboard on the sides and plenty of depth. I plan on placing a piece of granite in front of the landing to act as a small countertop. Not too large because it would be tougher to reach inside to clean and build my fires.
          I hope to start the floor and dome soon, just waiting on the fb board I ordered today.
          The snapfish link will show my progress so far. Copy and paiste it into the web address bar.

Snapfish: Share:Registration

How deep is the entry way to your oven from the door to the front of the landing?
          Gino

Comment

If it came down to it, probably reducing the oven to 40" rather than 42" isn't going to be a show stopper. I made my stand as big as I could in the limited space, and was obsessed with making the biggest oven size possible on that stand, at the expense of insulation space. At the widest part of my oven on three sides, and have next to no space between the outside of the dome and the brick enclosure. (Damn I wish I'd thought of pouring a slab bigger than the stand .... oh well, next build)
            And by the way, I have a 300mm (12") landing between the front of my stand and the cooking floor. I can reach into the centre of the cooking floor at arms stretch.

Good luck.
            Last edited by Poops; 09-14-2011, 08:48 PM. Reason: spelling
            ------
            Poops

Currently building first oven with red brick base
            FB plans plus Russell Jeavons book

Comment

Originally posted by gtofani View Post
              I am planning on building the 42" oven using the fire brick. After building my foundation and stand I realized that my area to build the oven was not as large as you recommend. I have 64 wide x 80 deep to build the 42" oven. By my calculations the outside of the dome will be about 51" wide, the exterior of the wall with cement board will be at the 64" leaving 2.5" between the interior of the metal studs and outside of the dome. Plenty of room to wrap the dome in the fb blanket. My stand is built with a 4' footer using 12" block then I placed the 8" block at the grade level leaving a 4" ledge for my stone and brick. (its overkill but nice) So the 42" dome will fit on my stand but its not the size you suggest. Is this ok? Also, do I need to use the fb blanket if I cover the dome with vermiculite? thanks.
              My stand was (is) 65" x 78". The 42" dome, insulation, metal studs and cement board fit just fine. I don't think 1/2" on either side would have made any significant difference - so you should be fine. 80" deep is more than deep enough and, after my experience with the build - I'd probably reduce the depth to around 70" or so to avoid a really deep entry.

You can see my floor laid out on the 65" stand here:
              Link to

Insulated with metal studs here: Link to

Comment

I just recieved my fb board by UPS today.
                I already made a cardboard pattern and decided to leave the extra space on the back side of the dome to avoid a long reach of the entry to the oven.
                I will have about a foot of granite before the firebrick arch floor. The back of the dome will just have a larger void filled with vermiculite.
                Gino

Comment

Working...
                X