outer dome construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• outer dome construction

Ok the firebrick dome is built and and covered with 4" of ceramic blanket. I used styrofoam boraads cut into arches to support the inner dome while building it. How do I support the outer red clay bricks while I build the outer dome? I do not want to crush the blanket under the bricks as I build the dome as this will reduce the R value of the blanket.

Also how do I cut bricks by hand when making a v shape wedge of brick on the long axis of the brick.

Re: outer dome construction

When I built my oven I placed wire reinforcement over the ceramic insulation, then placed about 4" of mortar on top of the wire. I was then able to place my stone on top of the mortar shell of the oven. You could do the same with your brick. I could send you a photo if you wish.

Comment

thanks for the reply,

I don't think I have 4" of room around the 4" of insulation as that would make the thing 8" wider. what about 1" of mortar would that be ok just to get the brick set?

Comment

I would think that if you installed the wire and 1" of mortar, you could successfully set the brick on this surface.

Comment

Working...
        X