Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

firebrick landing to front counter landing transition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• firebrick landing to front counter landing transition?

What is approach do most oven builders take to transition the firebrick landing to the outter landing. Since the firebrick landing is so far out of the oven anyway, is it really a problem if it touches the granite outter landing I plan on using? If its neccessary to separate the two landing areas, what do I use?
    Gino

Re: firebrick landing to front counter landing transition?

Most builds lately seem to use some form of thermal break between the oven itself and the vent area. I think if you go that route you should have very little heat and thermal expansion to deal with where your granite meets the vent landing.

Comment

Can you explain where and what is used as a thermal break between the oven and landing?
      Am I supposed to use a thermal break between the inner arch of the oven and the vent landing and arch.
      All the pics I have seen continue with the fire brick for the vent landing with either fire brick or another brick for the outter arch.
      Gino

Comment

A thermal break is not required and not part of the design as documented, just something that seems to be popping up in a lot of builds. Due to that there are lots of variations of how people are implementing it. I've seen air gaps, insulating firebricks, and refractory insulations used. You would want it placed between the inner arch and the vent area and in the floor in the same area. Look through some recent builds in the Pompeii section and I'm sure it will pop up fast.

Comment

I used insulating firebrick for my entryway floor thermal break. I beveled the leading edge of the soapstone floor in order to leave a gap just below the surface to insure minimum contact with the entryway bricks. I plan to fill the gap with ceramic insulation.

Comment

As shuboyje noted, it is not strictly necessary. Some have incorporated a break of some sort to prevent heat loss to and heating up of the landing.

Comment

Gudday
              I have firebrick right through....provides a great place to keep things warm defrost dough etc. Also allows me to light an ambient fire at the entrance when the cookings done. It all boils down to what you want I suppose...

Regards Dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once
              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
              My Door
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

I have another thought, what if I place a insulating firebrick (like from a kiln)
                between the main dome and the rest of the landing as a thermal break, maybe just an inch sliver or so. This would stop most of the heat from being transfered into the front arch. I could leave the landing floor as is and still use it to keep stuff warm.
                Gino

Comment

Working...
                X