thermal break?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thermal break?

Would it be worth the trouble to build in a thermal break between the inner arch/dome area and the outter arch and chimney using insulating firebricks.
    I was thinking of cementing in about an 1.5" buffer, it would keep the dome brick from transfering as much heat to the landing arch and chimney.
    My landing floor is already in place so I would just install a sliver of the insulating brick between my landing and the granite countertop for the break.
    Gino

Re: thermal break?

There are two reasons to insulate the outer arch or entry as far as I can see.
    1. to minimize oven heat loss by conduction.
    2. to allow the inner parts of the oven to expand without placing stress on the cooler outer parts.

If you use ins. f'brick you won't get any advantage re point 2.
    I prefer a vermiculite mix which is somewhat elastic, insulating firebrick isn't.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

What happens to the outter decorative arch then the inner parts expand, will I get cracking? At some point the inner arch area comes in contact with the outter parts. So your saying that If I insulate the dome and arch then place the thermal break prior to the decorative arch, I would be better off. That makes sense because the landing, inner arch and chimney will be allowed to move with the dome when hot.
      Gino

Comment

Yes, I believe this is preferable, and it allows you to tie in the construction of the entry to the dome rather than it standing alone.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

In order to avoid the decorative arch from coming in contact with the main dome/chimney/landing, I am thinnking of leave a space and use the fireproof rope as on the doors of other stoves between the decorative arch and the outter chimney arch.
          It will give a nice seal and would not be very noticable if it is pushed back in an inch or so.
          Gino

Comment

Originally posted by gtofani View Post
            In order to avoid the decorative arch from coming in contact with the main dome/chimney/landing, I am thinnking of leave a space and use the fireproof rope as on the doors of other stoves between the decorative arch and the outter chimney arch.
            It will give a nice seal and would not be very noticable if it is pushed back in an inch or so.
            High temp silicone works very well at this location as it will not reach the 6-7 hundred degree limit.

Chip
            Chip

Comment

That sounds like a good idea also, thanks.
              Gino

Comment

Working...
              X